Sump Pump - Where is water coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

eric stiegel

Reaction score
We built a new house. House was started in May and was completed and we moved in around Thanksgiving. We have a well and mound septic system. It is a daylight with sloping hills on each side of the house. We don't have any landscaping/yard yet and there has been some soil erosion/minor grading issues that will need to be addressed in the spring. The home did not have a sump pump installed until early August and the basement stayed dry. When we moved in the pump would run if it rained. We had our discharge line buried and ran to a creek, using gravity, about 120 feet behind the house. We had about 2 inches of rain a few days later. Pump ran hard during that time and then over the next few days ran about every 2 hours or so. Since then we have had some snow melts, but it has been very cold the past week and the pump is still running about every 45 minutes. Water is consistently just trickling slowing out of 2 of the 3 inlets (other is pretty dry) . I am trying to figure out where this water is coming from. I don't see any signs that the discharge line is leaking, and we have not really had any snow melt for a week. We have not had any water inside the house, but am trying to figure out if this water is coming from the outside/ground, or if there is some type of leak under the slab causing the sump to fill up and run.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what "a daylight" is, but having your sump pump run every 45 minutes seems pretty reasonable. Ground is probably wetter than it was in the fall.

What keeps your pipe to the creek from freezing shut?

eric stiegel

Reaction score
I don't know what "a daylight" is, but having your sump pump run every 45 minutes seems pretty reasonable. Ground is probably wetter than it was in the fall.

What keeps your pipe to the creek from freezing shut?

Daylight as in that I have full windows in the basement and the grade around the back of the house t 4-5 feet below the ceiling. My pipe is buried and then sits above the creek. I see water enter the creek. I also have a freeze preventer on the discharge so that it couldn't backup into the house causing the pump to burn out. I was wondering if the ground was just wet. I understand the soil conditions are different around the foundation of my house, but its been really cold the past week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks