Suggestions for a way to replace broken antiquated shower door hinge

Users who are viewing this thread

buck116

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum. Great to be here.
I never looked at my shower door hinges before, but now that they have broken, I may have discovered the dumbest shower door hinge design in history. Please see attached photos. They feature a single pin that runs the full length of the door frame, mostly hidden, and a hinge that is nothing but a piece of metal with a gapped tube at the end that wraps around the pin. Best thing is, the parts that ultimately keep the door on are small plastic pieces at top and bottom of each hinge. See photos. These things were created to fail. Anyway, I digress. The door has fallen off and the hinges are useless.
Can’t find any replacements for these or any info at all about them on the internet. Not surprising.

I’m desperately looking for suggestions on how I can fit another sort of hinge on here without having to completely remodel my shower. Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

8F699C95-9541-4B8A-943E-BF8E46C68FE6.jpeg
E350046E-0638-4354-A43D-202F1124B9C8.jpeg
87C8CDF8-0B9B-43D4-8C1C-4416ABBC3D48.jpeg
8A8E9BA5-5480-4C1F-948C-90DD3B7C9572.jpeg

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Those are called piano type hinges. Readily available at Big Box and hardware stores up to 6' that I've seen. Lots of ways to hinge any kind of door depending on what you have to attach to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks