Study on the Adverse health effects on Pex A Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

dollinger

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
nice a little to complicated to captivate me though. Any reason to assume they have no reason to just milk this study to make money? unemployed scientists or something ? not saying they are just asking

dollinger

Reaction score
nice a little to complicated to captivate me though. Any reason to assume they have no reason to just milk this study to make money? unemployed scientists or something ? not saying they are just aski
Well if you want to look at some data carefully collected vs just speculation then you might want to read. What caught my attention is that the chemical leaching is from the stabilization of PEX which might explain why it breaks down. What is missing from the study IMO is any analysis of the installation method.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if you want to look at some data carefully collected vs just speculation then you might want to read. What caught my attention is that the chemical leaching is from the stabilization of PEX which might explain why it breaks down. What is missing from the study IMO is any analysis of the installation method.
Hey thanks No I dont want to study it but Im sure many are its totaly appropriate to bring up this study to share

Pulse

Reaction score
Looks like manufactures need to clean/simulate water flowing through these lines for a good 3 months to get a good drop in the VOCs, but that still doesn't stop anything coming in from outside the home, as more and more municipalities move to a plastic pipe.

My question is how harmful are these compounds..

dollinger

Reaction score
Looks like manufactures need to clean/simulate water flowing through these lines for a good 3 months to get a good drop in the VOCs, but that still doesn't stop anything coming in from outside the home, as more and more municipalities move to a plastic pipe.

My question is how harmful are these compounds..
Another good question is since the chemicals that stabilize the PEX are leaching out will the PEX the PEX break down?

Pulse

Reaction score
Another good question is since the chemicals that stabilize the PEX are leaching out will the PEX the PEX break down?

I believe it is just the leftover byproduct of the manufacturing process, more so than a break down, as contaminants significantly decrease as time goes on.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
It seems all of this is pertinent (hidden pun) on cross linking of the plastic pipes, of which the other type of polyethylene pipe (PE-RT) has none..

John

Pulse

Reaction score
It seems all of this is pertinent (hidden pun) on cross linking of the plastic pipes, of which the other type of polyethylene pipe (PE-RT) has none..

John

You got me looking at Legend's HyperPure. You can use F1960(just slower compression). Apparently no leeching...hmmm

100yr warranty!?, why are more people not talking about this?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
You got me looking at Legend's HyperPure. You can use F1960(just slower compression). Apparently no leeching...hmmm

100yr warranty!?, why are more people not talking about this?

I'm not sure if there's no leaching at all, but PE-RT is an interesting product. It is supposed to be less susceptible to chlorine than regular PEX. As far as the warranty, well, one thing I've discovered with long warranties is that most have sufficient exclusions that make collecting on them impossible (for one, the 100 year warranty is not transferrable so that limits most installations to a few decades at best), and really, the cost of the pipe itself is so small in the scope of a repipe that a materials warranty alone doesn't mean a lot. If the 100 year warranty paid the labor *and* any collateral damage the failed pipe and the repipe itself caused, I'd be more impressed with the warranty.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's no leaching at all, but PE-RT is an interesting product. It is supposed to be less susceptible to chlorine than regular PEX. As far as the warranty, well, one thing I've discovered with long warranties is that most have sufficient exclusions that make collecting on them impossible (for one, the 100 year warranty is not transferrable so that limits most installations to a few decades at best), and really, the cost of the pipe itself is so small in the scope of a repipe that a materials warranty alone doesn't mean a lot. If the 100 year warranty paid the labor *and* any collateral damage the failed pipe and the repipe itself caused, I'd be more impressed with the warranty.

John
Well if the 100 years isnt transferable Id warranty it for a thousand years (non transferable)! I see people catching on to the warranty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks