Stuck U-Pipe slip-nut help

Users who are viewing this thread

Josee

Reaction score
Good morning-
I am trying to remove the U-pipe under bathroom sink to thoroughly clean it as I think there's something funky going on in there. I've removed the cleanout nut and loosened the tailpiece nut without issue but am unable to remove the U-pipe. I noticed that the slip-nut connected to the trap-arm loosens downward. In all the videos I watched the nut slips up and the pipe just comes loose. I've tried gently wiggling but I'm getting nowhere. ?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20170320_102645_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20170320_102645_LI.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 904

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get any movement/deflection on the tailpiece side of the U?

A bleach solution sitting in the trap for a while will kill anything.

Josee

Reaction score
I get movement but since the trap-arm is locking me I can;t lower the tailpiece enough to slip it off. Question: I tried bleach down the sink, also vinegar + baking soda, making sure it sits for a long while but the smell comes back. If I'm stuck all I can think of is trying with a bottle brush dipped in bleach.

I cleaned the shower floor drain last week and am still gagging. I remove the stopper from the sink & cleaned the pipe as best I could and the overflow channel. I had hoped that would have fixed it but there's still a lingering damp smell which goes away when we use the sink and returns several hours later. No other issues, no mold or humidity problems and the toilet is a-ok.

Josee

Reaction score
Maybe the smell is from the path to the overflow holes. If liquid does not do the job, maybe a test tube brush into the holes would help.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/mildew-smell-coming-from-overflow-holes.9049/

I cleaned the overflow holes when I removed the stopper & cleaned the pipe through the top of the sink. I have to add that cleaning those holes was a major pain and the amount of black moldy gunk in there was "surprising". It seems like a really stupid design to have water/debris running in such a tight spot.

Josee

Reaction score
I've given up & cleaned the U-pipe with a bottlebrush dipped in bleach. Will clean the overflow channel by placing rag in drain and filling overflow with bleach/water solution and letting it sit. Then I call an exorcist...

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That black nut on the wall side I believe is called a "union nut" rather than a slip nut. Those silly
traps very frequently leak at the union joint. Perhaps some jackass decided to glue it to the trap arm
on that account. The easily-disassembled ordinary tubular drain fittings are bad enough - at my house,
every 2 or 3 years I have to take them all apart and clean out the astonishingly large collection of hairy slime.
If I had what you have, I'd immediately take it all out.