Stove plug connection -not liking

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
I am attaching the wire that goes from main panel, not yet connected, to the 220 stove outlet. It seems like a poor design, there is a kind of flip thing with a screw on it which clips into place and then the screw should tighten down over the wire, but with stranded wire the screw does not cover the entire wire, some of the strands are not under the screw, is this the way it is supposed to be? it seems like the solid flip thing that holds the screw should press down on the wire but it does not, it locks into place and then it is just the screw head holding the wire

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Can you take a picture and post it so it's know the exact unit you have. Usually they are made where the wire goes under the clip and the screw presses against the clip. The clip will hold most of the strains.

Are you using a new outlet or reusing an old one. What gauge wire is being used?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
DSC02274.JPG

James23912

Reaction score
hi Worth , thanks for your time, it is a new outlet, Leviton 55050, with 6 gauge wire, I have had no luck posting pictures, even with the smallest setting it always says Too Big. the small pic on the plastic package shows the screw holding down a solid wire, I cannot find any diagrams so far but this picture of a video has the same thing, the metal clip part flips over and then after the wire is in it flips back and locks into a m=small slot and the crew then holds down the wire but it does not look right with the stranded wire

I have some of those little buchanon crimp things, I fit one over the wire so I could go with that but not thrilled right now with how this is going
video shows the connection at about 3+ minutes

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
The video is good. #6 is very large and I can see how some strains may be pushed to the side. If at all possible try to twist the 11/16" of exposed wire as much as possible but it is extremely hard. Every wire here does not have to make contact with the screw. It's the cross area that counts. A cut wire has so much cross area. 6 awg is about .5" in total area. The wire sits in a U shape channel making contact on all sides. The total contact area would be the same or more than the total cross area. It's UL approved so it's fine.
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/55050_Instruction_Sheet_EnFrSp.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks