Storage tank increase size

Users who are viewing this thread

autojoe

Reaction score
I have 3/4 hp goulds pump 220 feet deep. 30/50 pressure switch. 36 gal holding tank. Tank v100. Could I increase my tank size to prolong pump life. Would increasing tank size increase life of pump and cycle less frequent. I know tank is not all water air also. I was thinking 52 or bigger. My tank is about 20 years old still works just want to upgrade. Ty for your time.

Bannerman

Reaction score
As long as less water is used than the pump can deliver, it will continue to cycle regardless of the pressure tank size used. A better option will be to install a Cycle Stop Valve which was designed by and is manufactured by Valveman who is a moderator on this site.

View this video to learn how a CSV operates and its benefits.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/

autojoe

Reaction score
So you are saying 36 gal tank is big enough. Bigger tank would not help. The bigger the tank you have the larger the drawdown (actual amount of water stored) you will have. A larger drawdown means longer run time and therefore less cycles. Is this true I read online. Ty for your time.

Bannerman

Reaction score
So you are saying 36 gal tank is big enough.
I don't know as you have not stated the flow rate for your pump.

A pressure tank should be large enough so once the pump becomes activated at 30 psi, it will need to run for 60-120 seconds to raise the system pressure to 50 psi when no water is being consumed. 60 seconds is the minimum recommended run time, but up to 120 seconds is preferable.

Because a pump can usually pump faster than most people use water, the excess flow during water use will refill the pressure tank until the 50 psi cutout pressure is achieved causing the pump to shut down. With water use continuing, the pressure will then fall until 30 psi where the pump will be activated again. Pressure will continually be either rising from 30 to 50, or dropping from 50 to 30. A larger tank will only extend the time for this cycle to occur.

A CSV on the other hand will control the output from the pump so it will match the rate of consumption. Because the pump will always match the consumption rate, there will be no cycling.

Your exsisting pump may be capable of 7, 10 or even 20 GPM but when using a CSV, if only 2.5 gallons is flowing to your shower, then the pump will deliver 2.5 GPM at constant 40 psi pressure. If someone turns on the clothes washer needing 4 GPM while the shower is running, the CSV will immediately increase the flow rate from the pump to 6.5 GPM, still at constant 40 psi pressure.

The pressure tank will fill only when there is no further water being used. Because the minimum flow rate for a CSV is 1 GPM , the pressure tank will fill at 1 GPM until 50 psi is acheived which is why a small pressure tank can be used to provide the minimum pump run time.

Last edited:

autojoe

Reaction score
Ty for all that valuable information. My pump 2 wire I researched says 7 gpm. I don't know if 220 feet deep affects that. My pump runs longer I think then 2 minutes. Will have to time. How much does a csv costs where do you buy and easy to install. Thanks again.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ty for all that valuable information. My pump 2 wire I researched says 7 gpm. I don't know if 220 feet deep affects that. My pump runs longer I think then 2 minutes. Will have to time. How much does a csv costs where do you buy and easy to install. Thanks again.

A 30 gallon tank only holds 8 gallons of water, a 50 gallon tank only holds 12 gallons. As Bannerman says a larger tank just slows the cycling somewhat, but the pump still cycles for every 8 or 12 gallons used depending on the tank size. A CSV1A will only cost you $179.00, will work fine with the 30 gallon tank you have, and will do a better job than a room full of huge pressure tanks. You can get one here. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/csv1a

Not only will the CSV eliminate cycling and make your pump and tank last longer, but will deliver constant pressure to the shower so strong you will no longer even need soap. :)

autojoe

Reaction score
Ty for info. I have a 30/55 cut in and out now settings. What adjustment for valve? I only have one story ranch kitchen and bathroom besides laundry washer and utility tub in basement. I don't really notice any fluctuations in water pressure with shower. Pump is 20 years old. How long do pumps last. Someone sent me a post from here for bigger tank. I would rather get this valve. Make pump cycle less and last longer. I am going to see how many gpm today I am getting. Would it help with this valve getting 40/60 pressure switch right now have 20/40 adjusted to 30/55.sorry so many questions. Ty very much.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With that pump you can turn up the pressure as much as you want. The CSV would be best if you can determine which pump for sure you have and how deep it is to water. This can also be done by closing a ball valve and see how much pressure the pump can build.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Mr. Austin will be back for clarification ... but I will mention a couple things I learned because I just installed a CSV in November.
My system is set up with a 30/50 setting. ( The switches are all the same within their model number ... just set at different settings at the factory ) My CSV is set at about 43 to 45 psi. It will function at wherever you want the psi to be. The CSV1A is adjustable and comes with instructions.
And just for reference .... the Franklin pump ( 3/4 at 170 feet ) I replaced was in for 28 years and functioned OK ... except the check valve on the pump had a slow leak that would cycle the system about every thirty minutes.

Attachments

• CSV1A.JPG
    CSV1A.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

autojoe

Reaction score
I turned cold faucet on utility tub pressure switch turns on 30 and off 55 psi. 1 min 45 seconds per cycle. Put out 7.25 gal in one min 45 seconds. Gpm 4 gal 2.3 cups. Does that sound low. I just turned cold water faucet on. Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I turned cold faucet on utility tub pressure switch turns on 30 and off 55 psi. 1 min 45 seconds per cycle. Put out 7.25 gal in one min 45 seconds. Gpm 4 gal 2.3 cups. Does that sound low. I just turned cold water faucet on. Thanks for the help.
Does your pressure gauge climb very slowly as it approaches 55?

Your well and current pump are not going to benefit from a CSV, because a CSV adds some pressure drop. Click inbox, above.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Was the restrictive aerator affixed to the faucet ?
Dammit Reach4 ...... Now you have me confused again.
Autojoe's system is very close to mine and the CSV works as intended.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If your pump is cycling on and off while using water, you need the pressure drop from a CSV to make that stop happening. The only time pressure drop from a CSV is even noticed is when you are trying to use all the water a pump can produce, which is rare. Usually people are using less water than the pump can produce which is what causes a cycle every 1 minute and 45 seconds, which isn't good.

autojoe

Reaction score
It took 1 minute 45 seconds after I shut water off after pump kicked on to go from 30 to 55 psi with no faucet on.

Reach4

Reaction score
Dammit Reach4 ...... Now you have me confused again.
Autojoe's system is very close to mine and the CSV works as intended.
I think Autojoe's pump takes almost 2 minutes to fill the 36 gallon pressure tank, and that shows the pump does not have pressure to spare.

Maybe your 3/4 hp pump is 7gpm, which generates a lot more pressure than a 3/4 hp 10 gpm pump. Maybe your water level is significantly higher.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
I do have a 7 gpm pump .... but the level in November was 113 feet down.
But understand ...... Your statement that a 7 GPM pump creates more pressure than a 10 GPM seems contrary ....... and now I have something else to study up on.

Reach4

Reaction score
I do have a 7 gpm pump .... but the level in November was 113 feet down.
But understand ...... Your statement that a 7 GPM pump creates more pressure than a 10 GPM seems contrary ....... and now I have something else to study up on.
Think about a bicycle. Low gear climbs hills better. If there is not much climb, high gear (10 gpm) gets more gallons per minute.

A 7 gpm pump has more stages than a 10, for a given hp. 7 gpm costs more.