Source for flexible corrugated copper tubing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
ky8d.net
Wondering where I might purchase flexible corrugated copper tubing in lengths of 20 t0 24 feet, the whole length corrugated without any joints.

Not to be used for plumbing, actually, but a ham radio antenna instead. The hoop type, technically known as a "magnetic loop". The idea is to coil it up to fit inside a suitcase when not in use. Others use a cable called "Heliax", which is very expensive and has foam and another (unused) wire inside. Nor would it coil as tightly as corrugated copper tubing. Also it weighs a lot more, so would cost more as checked luggage on a plane. Hence my idea...if it exists...to use corrugated copper tubing instead.

Anybody know where I might buy it in such long lengths?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think back in the day your could get has appliance flex connectors but they were made out of brass.

Reaction score
Website
ky8d.net
Thanks very kindly for your effort. But aluminum simply won't serve. Pure aluminum might, but not any of the usual alloys...their base conductivity often being just half. That can be made up for by large diameter (2 inches plus), but then the price shoot up and it wouldn't fit in a suitcase.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any corrugated piping that is available in that length. Even if offered, I'm not certain how well it would stand-up to being repeatedly coiled tightly, assuming this is to remain a portable antenna.

Perhaps a length of heavy gauge grounding wire would be suitable as the bare wire would consume less space than an insulated wire of the same gauge. The link below shows a 25' length of 6 AWG, but other guages and precut lengths are also available.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-25-ft-6-1-Solid-Bare-Copper-Grounding-Wire-050-2200A/202564820

Stranded wire is also available.

Edit: Just found this refrigeration tubing. https://www.haikechina.com/productdetail/7.html

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about copper flashing? Cut into maybe a 3-inch wide, or narrower, long strip. Roll it up for the suitcase.

Or copper foil tape, and leave the backing on.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks