Softpro softener

Users who are viewing this thread

grumpy 040

Reaction score
Is anyone using a Soft pro softener.? NEED to know pros and cons on them. I'm torn between 2510sxt or a Soft pro. Help

Bannerman

Reaction score
You didn't specify the model number, capacity or vendor as no SoftPro website was shown.

Some SoftPro units listed on Amazon, are shown with Fleck 5600SXT control valves. There is another model which is indicated as an upflow regeneration model, which appears to use an unbranded control valve, likely produced offshore. It also specifies it features variable brining.

Some of the sales claims are marketing hype, especially with small, residential softeners. If you perform a forum search for Upflow regeneration, you will likely find numerous that discuss the pros and cons, with downflow most often recommended for residential applications. There are similar threads which discuss variable brining.

The control valve brands commonly recommended on this forum are Fleck, Clack and for some applications, Autotrol.

Reach4

Reaction score
The control valve brands commonly recommended on this forum are Fleck, Clack and for some applications, Autotrol.
And the 2510 is seldom recommended for new softeners. Backwashing filters maybe.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
You didn't specify the model number, capacity or vendor as no SoftPro website was shown.

Some SoftPro units listed on Amazon, are shown with Fleck 5600SXT control valves. There is another model which is indicated as an upflow regeneration model, which appears to use an unbranded control valve, likely produced offshore. It also specifies it features variable brining.

Some of the sales claims are marketing hype, especially with small, residential softeners. If you perform a forum search for Upflow regeneration, you will likely find numerous that discuss the pros and cons, with downflow most often recommended for residential applications. There are similar threads which discuss variable brining.

It was a Softpro Elite Basic. 40,000. from www.qualitywatertreatment.com

Bannerman

Reaction score
And the 2510 is seldom recommended for new softeners. Backwashing filters maybe.
The 2510 is offered in a manual backwash version and the more popular time clock mechanical model. There are/were conversions offered to allow Econominder or SXT metered softener operation.

As you are planning a new softener install which will be in-service likely for decades, you may wish to consider a newer electronic Fleck model to help ensure parts will be available when needed.

grumpy 040

Reaction score
So the 2510sxt is better/ more reliable than the 5600xst for well water?

intel2020

Reaction score
I think he is saying, and others have said, a new Fleck model is a suggested way to go, but a 2510 would work. 5600SXT is a newer valve than the 2510. The current generation (a few years on market now and I have two of them. i.e. 5810SXT and a 5810XTR) is the 58xx series in either a SXT or XTR configuration. xx is for sizing of connections needed, e.g. 3/4, 1 or larger depending on application. I am very happy with my configuration and performance with the 5810 series valves.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Stick with original Fleck or Clack based systems. Be wary of most online companies as most chase the lowest price since some only make less than 5-10% margins so they are always looking for ways to make the units cheaper or to buy systems that are "unique" with a lot of marketing garbage behind them, but in reality they have simply found a unit that is made entirely by the lowest bidder in China so that they can make a few extra dollars on each unit for a year or so until every other online company starts selling the exact same junk for a nickel less...

As to the upflow/downflow, I do training seminars for many companies and I can recommend either based on the companies desired marketing and selling abilities. The vast majority of commercial and residential units go out as downflow since they take very little consideration to work almost anywhere. Any company pushing upflow as "new" or "advanced is simply being silly. One of the original fully automated commonly used control valves was the Schurz valve. This was a 2 cycle valve, and it was an upflow design that took about 1 minute to rebuild. It made the Clack valve look complex to repair.
index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks