Small leak clean-up

Users who are viewing this thread

aragno

Reaction score
Good evening.
I have been lurking on this site for some time and it has been a very useful resource.

i now have my own issue to post and hope for some good advice and guidance.

we had a powder room toilet leak. The leak was slow but overnight and it slowly seeped under the wall and into the adjacent rooms which has caused the carpet to get wet as well as some wood floor. It leaked slowly over an approx 10 hour period. A couple rooms have no baseboards as we are amidst replacing them. All sill plates are pressure treated 2x4s on a slab foundation.

we will remove part of the hardwood floor as it appears to have caused some water marks/stains in the seams between the planks but have placed a 1,750cfm fan to blow on the affected planks and toward the bottom of wall where water leaked under sill plate. No baseboards here.

We pulled back the wet carpet and cut out the padding in closet area. We used a shopvac to suck up any moisture from the carpet. We have a 930cfm fan blowing in this affected room and directed the air to the sill plate where water seeped under.

In the powder room we have a 930cfm fan blowing toward the sill plate where water seeped under. No baseboards installed here.

carpet is dry and I don’t feel any moisture on the sill/bottom plates.
Drywall did not get wet as there was no deep water standing in any room.

for how long should we continue this?
What else should we do?
Should we remove baseboard in the rooms with carpet to ensure it is dry behind them?

should we be spraying any concrobium Liquid Mold Remover as a precaution, on the sill plate, carpet tack strips, and concrete slab? Anything else?

looking forward to your collective input.

we are about 9 hours into fans blowing in powder room, closet/carpeted area, and the wood floor in adjacent area.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try selectively exhausting some warmer moist air and bring in some cool dry air. That will make the water evaporate more quickly. Not too much, but you have plenty of cool dry air available to bring in.

aragno

Reaction score
You could try selectively exhausting some warmer moist air and bring in some cool dry air. That will make the water evaporate more quickly. Not too much, but you have plenty of cool dry air available to bring in.
Would this exhausting look like a dehumidifier in the rooms? Or literally pointing the fan toward an open door or window and blowing it that way?

right now we run the heat in the house to around 68-70F as outdoor temp is around 30F. Indoor humidity is around 40%.

aragno

Reaction score

i also thought trying to tape some plastic over the area and putting a shopvac inside the enclosed plastic to focus on sucking out some moisture from that space. Would it even do any good?

Reach4

Reaction score
Would this exhausting look like a dehumidifier in the rooms? Or literally pointing the fan toward an open door or window and blowing it that way?
i also thought trying to tape some plastic over the area and putting a shopvac inside the enclosed plastic to focus on sucking out some moisture from that space. Would it even do any good?
I was thinking of running the shop vac hose or the canister vac hose on blow out the window for a while. Do you have a humidity meter (hygrometer)? That could give some guidance.

aragno

Reaction score
I was thinking of running the shop vac hose or the canister vac hose on blow out the window for a while. Do you have a humidity meter (hygrometer)? That could give some guidance.

Could that look like placing the suction hose near the affected area and an outlet hose going out the window?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could that look like placing the suction hose near the affected area and an outlet hose going out the window?
If you have two hoses, you could do that.

I am not thinking to do that very long. Just get the humidity in the room down if elevated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks