Slow leaks in lav supplies...next steps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgeist

Reaction score
I've just finished installing the supply valves (4x 1/4 turn brasscraft compression to 1/2" copper tube) and am having very slight leaks in all of them. Enough to make a damp spot on toilet paper after sitting overnight, but no drips (yet). I've used these before for in both toilet/sink applications and had no problems, but I suspect my stub was more pristine.

I really don't want to leave it "leaking" but am concerned with re-fitting the valves and making it worse. The stubs were a little on the short side and had soldered caps. Since they were shorter than I would like, I de-soldered them instead of just cutting off. The tubes are definitely "tinned" at the tip, but I'm not sure if that extends to the ferrule area.

Suggestions on how to proceed? Do I disassemble/clean/replace ferrules as good measure? Do I try to solder on an extension and got at it with a brand new section of tube? Am I over-tightening (since I did muscle them in a bit)? Are there telltale signs that the assembly isn't together correctly that I can avoid?

Thanks.
Dan

Dgeist

Reaction score
Quick note: Three hours after checking the first time, the 2 supplies for one sink appear to have no additional moisture. The other side had about enough to dampen the tissue, but that's all. Is this one of those "take them off and make sure I didn't deform the pipe/ferrule, wrap a turn of PTFE on it and reassemble" kind of situations?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes put a little pipe dope (sealant) on the end of the threads where the ferrule meets.
I never use tape on compression fittings.

For the solder on the copper, emory cloth sands that down. You can heat it, wipe it while hot, and then sand it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks