Slow flow tub and shwr output

Users who are viewing this thread

undersc0re

Reaction score
I have a Moen 2 handle tub shower and I have replaced the cartridges but the flow is still really slow…I removed the tub output and shower head and both seem fine, I do not see anything that would restrict it. I believe that somehow the flow leaving the handles (both) get restricted before the shower head and bathtub output, all I see is just pipe and the big brass looking thing the taps kind of input and output to. Does anyone know what else I could try before getting a plumber which will take a week.

4AAABC18-9DB7-4D40-83DA-B7BBBE35D377.jpeg
0B0FC1FB-2068-437C-BF6D-A9BBB223B2A9.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure the blue handle valves are fully open. I like to open them all the way and then turn them back in just a bit. The next person can rock the valve to see which way they turn without breaking their wrists.

Nothing obvious looks amiss.

undersc0re

Reaction score
Are you sure the blue handle valves are fully open. I like to open them all the way and then turn them back in just a bit. The next person can rock the valve to see which way they turn without breaking their wrists.

Nothing obvious looks amiss.

Yes, I also pulled both valves completely out and the flow was good with no valves…Is it possible it gets restricted somewhere after leaving the new valves? I openned and closed the blue valves a bunch of times to clear out any possible blockage…some crap came out but everything is the same.

EDIT
This has been an issue since I moved in, I took off the big brass manifold thing and it and everything flowed fine. Could the moen valve inserts be wrong, the holes seem small…and I notice 3 different types on amazon? Maybe someone put new ones in and they were wrong if thats even possible. I am at a loss and only thing I could think of is the tap handle valve or right behind the valve is messed up(wrong size or restrictive) or there is some sort of regulating valve in the system I don’t know about thats messed up. I will attach another pic showing 3 different types and maybe someone who has dealt with this might spot the issue immediately, I used the 1224 as that was what was in there and matched the items at the hardware store.
D9A81AD1-79CD-4E3C-AB1E-B22F305416B3.jpeg

Last edited:

undersc0re

Reaction score
Just to help anyone who comes across this….that cast brass piece….in the centre where the shower pipe comes in and the tub output comes into it there is some sort or diverter/restrictor built in I imagine as it was hard to tell if it was removable…well it got clogged up with tiny red and green and black pieces. I imagine they originate from the local pumphouse when they pull the screens and clean them or whatever they do(the water gets shut off for a couple hours at this time)….seems like every time they do that it clogs up the sprinkler holes and hand held watering device. I ended up just replacing it, but you could probably pull that out and somehow use chemicals to dissolve it or something.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks