Sink weight v. Support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwalker28

Reaction score
I have a general question. I am tiling in a counter and am using a drop in cast iron sink with a stainless steel rim both from same manufacturer. That is important because I assume they must be compatable.

However, in reviewing the install instructions, it looks like o. The 18" × 20" sink, which will weight around 50 lbs full, and the 32"× 18" sink that one will a hair over 100 pounds full, the support for that weight comes from the bend out tabs that also firmly hold the sink to that stainless steel frame. The stainless steel frame has a 1/4" -5/16" annular edge that the sink/frame assembly rest on the tile counter surface.

So the tile counter needs to be dimensioned really well, and the tile completely backed (no cantilever effect).

But what I am wondering is have I got the right? Seems like a lot of weight on the ring. I know these hudee rings have been used for a very long time, but those sinks are heavy.

So, on reason to worry if installed properly?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You dont use a hootie ring on a tile in sink. I always let the tile guy set the sink but I think they set it right on the rough top . I do see schluter has metal trim

Rwalker28

Reaction score
Thank you. I am trying to avoid a tile in sink with quarter round over the edge of the sink. If the sink gets chipped or has a rust spot, the sink is not removable without tearing out the quarter round and inevitably damaging the surrounding tile and ruining the countertop. I see self rimming sinks can be installed successfully over tile and will look into that. Need to be sure the tile is very well in plane to avoid pressure points I assume. I also saw sinks with these metal hudee rings installed over tile in kitchen photos that were probably from the 70's and 80's, and remember them from when I was a younger in apartments I rented in southern cal. In those days.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hootie rings sometimes used in laminate counter tops I guess we did use them on Tile too cant say it was common but Probebly did use them that way
I guess after 2o years of no one wanting tile counter tops its coming back , To each thier own I still see 70 or 90 year old stuff I hate tearing out.
Any way you asked about supporting a sink with a hootie ring yea its holds fine on solid dry wood surfaces .
I mentioned Schluter makes product for sinks , Id Fabricate something to go underneath rough top if nessesary to adequately support sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks