Sink stopper for ramp style sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

GA_

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to have a sink stopper work with a ramp style sink?

By ramp style sink, I mean something like at the link below with a linear slot drain, instead of a round drain:
https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...l-25-single-bathroom-vanity-top-mbll1000.html
I think (not sure) the way the slot drain in these work is the outside edges of the slot slope toward a low point in the middle.

1. How does the drain attach if you can't tighten the top of a drain flange to the topside of the sink? (or can you?)
2. Is there any way to install a sink stopper for one of these? Is there such a thing as an inline sink stopper?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has about these

ramp-bowl-vessel.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sink comes with a threaded on adapter for the drain. I don't think it would be a good idea though to stop the drain on a hidden drain system like that.
marblelite-drain-instructions.jpg

GA_

Reaction score
Thank you! I searched all over for info on how the drain attaches and could not find it. Thank you for finding it.
Do all the similar style commercial acrylic (ie not custom made concrete) ramp sinks come with a threaded adapter for the drain?
Since I posted I saw a post on another board where someone thought theirs came with just a pipe sticking out, and they attached the drain with a standard slip nut. But I trust Terry more than some random person on the internet!

So based on your response, I'm understanding that if I select this type of sink, there is no good option to stopper the sink?
I know it's not ideal as this sink has no overflow hole, but then neither do most of the cultured marble one piece standard residential sink/counters.

I may be imagining things, but I seem to recall once seeing a sink with what I can best describe as an inline stopper. The handle you pull on the back of the faucet attached to a special section of drain, that pulled down an inline stopper instead of pulling down the surface mounted stopper at the bottom of the sink. I just have no idea where I saw this (US or Europe?) or if it is still available, and what it might be called...

The other two ideas I had were something accessed from under the sink - either
a. a twist handle waste valve like you see in restaurants, but I'd be a bit worried it would be too easy to accidentally turn, and I don't know if they come separate from the top strainer part so I could install it inline.
or,
b. an actual inline valve pvc valve like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewer...40-Slip-x-Slip-Ball-Valve-VBVP40E7B/202370035

I'm not sure about code compliance or other issues I'm not thinking about....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wish they had a better picture on their instructions as to whether that was a standard thread or not. Regardless, I think it's going to take some ingenuity to figure that one out. The PVC shutoff you show would stop it though.

labbso

Reaction score
hey any idea on how to properly seal the connection with the manufacturer supplied drain tube and the threaded drain in the ramp sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks