Sink Stain Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Tinker

Reaction score
The stain in question is that which is under the old faucet escutcheon plate; the interface between the old faucet and the Formica vanity top. The missus wants a new faucet. Upon removal, we observed a stain that will extend perhaps a quarter-inch beyond the boundary of the new faucet plate. This is a non-starter in her world. So we've tried the 30% vinegar (acetic acid) solution, the overnight lemon juice and baking soda paste solution, scrubbing with salt, scrubbing with 0000 steel wool, etc. The lemon-soda mix was moderately effective, but still significant observable stains. My gut tells me this stain is stuck unless we get much more aggressive chemically or mechanically - rougher sand paper, a harder abrasive (??), muratic acid. We are stuck. Does anyone have an authoritative answer regarding how to remove or even lessen the stain? How suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_3303.JPG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You can try bleach. Soak a paper towel with bleach and lay it on the surface. pour a little extra so it more or less soaking the surface.

That is not Formica. It looks like one of those acrylic sinks, a man made material and after a while they can stain. It probably was a chemical reaction if there was a gasket under the escutcheon plate or where water will seep under and lay there for a long time. Take a utility knife and scratch the material where the new faucet would hide it and check the color. You'll notice the color around the drain hole is also the same color. It's where water usually sits and some plumbers putty under the flange will stain. I'm afraid replacing the sink may be the only solution.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try an Iron Out paste. That would only help if the stain has iron content.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A utility knife blade, preferably one with a holder or a covered side, is sometimes good to plane off some of that. Also good when removing caulking from a wall behind a shower plate. It gets you part way there.

Reach4

Reaction score
A utility knife blade, preferably one with a holder or a covered side, is sometimes good to plane off some of that. Also good when removing caulking from a wall behind a shower plate. It gets you part way there.
Maybe plastic single edge razor blades could be used, or even steel ones. I go through a box of 100 steel ones maybe every 10 years.

Tinker

Reaction score
Thank you all for the quick replies; much appreciated. And yes, I stand corrected, it's not Formica, but "cultured marble" as informed by my wife. It's obviously some sort of laminated or solid plastic, and yes I've about given up removing the stain. My wife's second replacement choice uses an escutcheon that will cover the stain. It's a second choice, but it beats swapping the entire vanity.

BTW, I took a look underneath and didn't notice any obvious attach points for the "cultured marble top" to the bottom vanity cabinet. Is there a way to replacement just the "cultured marble" vanity top and retain the bottom in place?

Thanks again for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks