Showerhead installation

Users who are viewing this thread

fairmang

Reaction score
Hi Guys

How can I go about installing a normal protruding shower head arm on this part shown in the photo?
I am thrown off because it's pointing downward instead of forward.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 185

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that would be for the hose for a handheld that could park in a holster.

spaces_hg_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fairmang

Reaction score
Yes that's what it was, I am trying to move away from that and install a fixed traditional showerhead. I have been trying to remove the cover to see what's beneath but no luck!.

I would think that would be for the hose for a handheld that could park in a holster.

Reach4

Reaction score
If a big screwdriver in the hole does not give enough leverage, maybe you could screw a 1/2 inch steel pipe and a 1/2 inch steel coupler on, and use that to apply CCW torque.

doan_shower_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
It would be helpful to provide some pictures of the whole shower installation.

The part you are working on could be either at a low or high position. I think I see the edge of a ring for some sort of fixture to the right. So low is likely. If you do not have a fixed shower head and a source control, then this is your source of water for a hand held only. I don't see a control, so the shower is likely configured with only a hand held and the flow control is on the hand held device. There are two ways the device you are working on can attach. I can be soldered to a copper pipe behind the wall or screws into a female device behind the wall. If it is soldered (sounds like what you may have) making a hole in the wall to change things is required. If it is screwed in you can replace it. But your effort points to soldered.

You need to determine what/where all the pipes and valves are located. But if what you show is all you have; you are going to need to make some serious changes. There is no point trying to unscrew the handheld water source. you can't make that into a fixed fixture valve. Well, you could use the existing pipe behind the wall and put in a control valve or screw one into the divice you are trying to remove if it will fit. But probably easier to just use the handheld and use it for the shower. The simplest approach would be to get a vertical bar and a handheld with an adjustable clamp and run the head up to the top for regular showering. This lets you do both fixed shower head and handheld from the same handheld device. You may need a longer hose. Shower head will all fit on the device you have now.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no cover, that whole fitting is threaded onto a pipe nipple in the wall and will unscrew. Normally that would not be centered in the shower and often would be too low for a regular shower arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks