Shower drain pipe in floor

Users who are viewing this thread

johnvrs

Reaction score
redoing our bathroom and took out the tub. going to put it in a prefab shower pan.
the existing drain pipe (see pic) is too high to properly connect to the new shower drain.
needs to be at least a few inches lower. Not sure what the fitting is or how to remove it.
it seems to have a smooth base instead of a nut base so i dont know how to turn it. also not much room
to get a wrench on anything. Going to need to remove it in order to put something shorter in its place.

any suggestions or input would be great. first time here.

Attachments

• 20190402_150324_resized_1.jpg
    20190402_150324_resized_1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 20190402_150831_resized_1.jpg
    20190402_150831_resized_1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 159

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe in the ground is a 2" cast iron hub fitting, assembled with lead and oakum. The lead can be drilled and pried out. , a rubber hub seal inserted and a new 2" pipe pushed in.
For a prefab pan, you will need to relocate the drain perfectly. Or you can fabricate a pan if needed to more easily work with your current drain location.

johnvrs

Reaction score
so i better understand, when i get it out will i have a 2" hole to work with or will i have a larger hole (approx 3.25") where the blue arrow is pointing.

Attachments

• pipe1.gif
    pipe1.gif
    138.5 KB · Views: 182

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hub is sort of a flared cup at the end of the cast iron so that the ID down below when it narrows for the rest of the length, it's the nominal 2". SO, yes, the ID of the hub will be considerably larger than 2" to allow the OD of the inserted pipe to fit in and have room for the oakum seal then lead poured over it.

When substituting PVC or ABS into that hub, instead of oakum and lead, you need to find the proper OD donut so that it seals around the standard OD plastic pipe. www.fernco.com is one manufacturer of these donuts. They sell numerous OD ones to accommodate different hub sizes. Too loose, it won't seal, too tight, you won't be able to get the pipe in...just like in Goldilocks, it needs to be just right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks