Shower diverter was loose, so i tightened it

Users who are viewing this thread

sam_123

Reaction score
my shower diverter that turns the shower to send water from the shower head on and off when i pull the stick or push the stick was loose to the touch. so i turned it tight and now when i turn the shower off i hear a chugging sound as the water drains from the pipe going to the shower head back down. is tightening the shower diverter enough to be safe from water damage?

i will attach a picture of the part i tightened that was loose.

https://imgur.com/a/jWTWru8

also i asked a plumber about this and he said that turning off the shower so water stops coming from the shower head will send water out of the spout and it doesn't.

Attachments

• shower diverter.jpg
    shower diverter.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

sam_123

Reaction score
now after a few days i can't pull the stick out fully, and when i leave it pushed in and run the water out of the bottom spout only i still get drip from the shower head.

if i unscrew it how would i do it and if i did unscrew it what part would i use to replace the broken part?

sam_123

Reaction score
here's three pictures.

Attachments

• 20190209_183255 - Copy.jpg
    20190209_183255 - Copy.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 20190209_183317 - Copy.jpg
    20190209_183317 - Copy.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 384
  • 20190209_183327 - Copy.jpg
    20190209_183327 - Copy.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 276

sam_123

Reaction score
this morning i decided to unscrew what i tightened and saw by doing so i just removed the silver plate that was stopping water from going into the wall. theres nothing stopping water from going into the wall its just a big hole behind the plate.

and i saw by turning the large spout there was another big hole behind the spout that let water into the wall.

i suppose i have to put some sort of sealant on the hole to stop water from going in there.

also when i unscrewed the plate holder the water diverter stick started working again, and when i turned off the shower the water from the shower head pipe came out of the spout, so i think by turning the diverter plate holder tight i was gimping up the water diverter stick from working. now the water diver stick is working i just tightened the water diverter plate on the wall by hand.

edit. i just filled in the hole in the wall with bathroom caulking and put some caulking around the metal plates too, not sealing the water hole on the bottom of the big spout to let water drip out from the spout to the tub.

so no more problem.

Attachments

• 20190210_105835 - Copy.jpg
    20190210_105835 - Copy.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 20190210_111454 - Copy.jpg
    20190210_111454 - Copy.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks