shallow well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Dean0

Reaction score
We installed a 1 1\4 shallow well and is down about 18 feet. We ran a tape measure down the pipe and have about 5 to 6 feet of water in the pipe. We installed a picture pump and we have cold clean water.
However, we now installed a 3\4 horse pump and blatter tank to run the well for a while before winter and to see how it would pump. We ran a elbow and valve to our pump primed it and it started pumping water, but it pumps like it is pulsating. It pumps a lot of water and then its like it takes a breath and then pumps a little water, then a lot of water, then a little water...It will pump about 1 gal a min.
Any ideas would be helpfull.. Thanks

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You have a suction leak in the line from the water to the pump or your well is supplying very little water. 1 gpm isn't much for a 1 hp pump. If the pump sounds like gravel inside, it's probably a lift problem or limited water problem. Try testing the well again with your Pitcher Pump. . . they can pump about 4 gpm. If it pumps hard, it means the well isn't giving up much water.

Dean0

Reaction score
Thanks Porky,
We did put the Pitcher pump back on and the gpm seems to be about 2 or so gpm. I didnt think it was hard to pump. What do you think my next step should be?
Do I try a new well or pound it down a little deeper?
Thanks again for the help.. Dean