Shallow Well Pump Running Every 10 Minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Triciaz

Reaction score
My shallow well pump is running every 10 minutes for about 3-4 minutes then shuts off, then repeating the cycle. I have shut off the outside line inside the house. Earlier when I went outside I forgot that I had shut it off and there was still a slight water flow enough for me to fill my animals water bucket with patience.
I think there is a leak at a connection, but I now remember that a hose was left on a few weeks ago and we don't know how long it ran.
The fuse for the hot water tank also blew, one of the 3 that are in a box near that water pump. We live in a very old house and the basement gets WET.
Thanks ahead of time for looking and answering

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Did you stop losing pressure after turning off the hose? What size is the tank and how many gallons do you need to draw for the pump to cycle?

What are the other two fuses for? If this is in an undersized sub-panel, one of the other loads may have been enough to drop the voltage enough to raise the current. Then again, the element could be failing causing it to draw more current. A voltmeter and ammeter is your friend there if you know how to use it.

Triciaz

Reaction score
There isn't a problem with the hot water anymore.
It's the pump that is running every 10 minutes

Triciaz

Reaction score
Just checked the shut off to the outside, they have been completely shut off.
Pump still running

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do you have a main shutoff at the tank? If so, turn that off and see if that stops the loss of water. If it does not, the water is probably flowing back to the well due to a failed footvalve. Replace the footvalve in the well.