SHALLOW WELL JET PUMP PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by hayton @telus.net, Aug 6, 2014.

1. hayton @telus.net

hayton @telus.net New Member

I installed a used jet pump (Sears 1/2 hp, 115 volt) to pump water from the lake to the cottage, shallow well installation.
    When primed the pressure rose steadily until it reached 40 psi at which point it kept running for several minutes then the pressure rose steadily again until shutting off normally at 55psi. We did quite a lot of watering for the garden and lawn sprinkling. In each cycle the rising pressure would stall for some minutes at the 40 psi point until eventually reaching the 55 psi shut off.
    Later in the day the pump kept running even though no water was being used until it stopped completely after an estimated 30 minutes. It may have overheated due to being in an unventilated small pump house. It is well insulated for the winter conditions we experience.
    What would cause this unusual pattern and how can it be resolved?
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Trash from the lake on the input of the pump, Jet / foot valve, maybe.

What kind of tank do you have ? What is the model of your Sears pump ?

A air cooled pump motor does need fresh air.

Good Luck on your project. Welcome to Terry's Forum.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. hayton @telus.net

hayton @telus.net New Member

Thanks, DonL for your ideas. I am back at the lake and have pulled up the intake. Although there was no hard trash there was plenty of lake slime on the screen and in the foot valve chamber. I took the foot valve apart, cleaned everything and after reassembly and re-priming, the pump reluctantly started and seems to be working normally. Also since we are still in period of fairly high usage with sprinkling, I have left the pump house door open a crack for ventilation.