Sewer Scope and differing opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bkapps

Reaction score
Hi Plumbing forum!

I am closing on a house in a few weeks and got a sewer line scope. At the end of the line the last 10 feet are full of standing water. The first plumber who did the scope says it is an issue and recommended a 10 foot replacement of the line to increase the slope.

However, the seller's plumber said there is no issue and he would not recommend a replacement. He said because it is PVC any debris would slide into the main trunk.

What do you all think?

Here is the video of the scope, skip to 3:24 to see the last 10 feet of the scope.

Thanks,
-Ben

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Increase the slope how? It looks like they ran out of slope and come into the side of the main. Not much you could really do. You could lay all new pipe to fix a problem that hasn't arisen.

That said, this could cause a problem. Without slope backups are more likley, but not necessarily gonna happen.

Bkapps

Reaction score
Increase the slope how? It looks like they ran out of slope and come into the side of the main. Not much you could really do. You could lay all new pipe to fix a problem that hasn't arisen.

That said, this could cause a problem. Without slope backups are more likley, but not necessarily gonna happen.
Thanks that is a lot of what the second plumber said. Mentioned it probably won't be an issue if it hasn't been in the past.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd put it this way if it was a brand new house I wouldn't be happy that doesn't meet code.
on other hand if I lived there I wouldn't fix it if I never had a back up ,
It could be the city responsible for what's under the street I've heard that the lateral is customers responsibility even though its in the street don't really buy that though because sometimes they do fixes that supposedly aren't their responsibility No opinion on whether seller should pay for any repair in California its totally negotiable seller doesn't have to repair and buyer has option to cancel purchase if not satisfied with the condition

Bkapps

Reaction score
I'd put it this way if it was a brand new house I wouldn't be happy that doesn't meet code.
on other hand if I lived there I wouldn't fix it if I never had a back up ,
It could be the city responsible for what's under the street I've heard that the lateral is customers responsibility even though its in the street don't really buy that though because sometimes they do fixes that supposedly aren't their responsibility No opinion on whether seller should pay for any repair in California its totally negotiable seller doesn't have to repair and buyer has option to cancel purchase if not satisfied with the condition
It is the owners responsibility in Colorado all the way up to the main trunk. Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is the owners responsibility in Colorado all the way up to the main trunk. Thanks!
so it will be your problem even out in street. Ive heard that befor , I think it varys and didnt . think it would be by the entire state. so there you go in anycase I cant argue that 10 foot belly is as good as 1/4 per ft grade

Clarice8419

Reaction score
They appear to have run out of slope and entered the main side. There wasn't much you could do. To solve a problem that hasn't materialised, you may lay whole new pipe.

Bkapps

Reaction score
so it will be your problem even out in street. Ive heard that befor , I think it varys and didnt . think it would be by the entire state. so there you go in anycase I cant argue that 10 foot belly is as good as 1/4 per ft grade
You're right I misspoke might not be all Colorado. At least Fort Collins that is the rules.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks