sewer jet from a pressure washer??

Users who are viewing this thread

harveymasons

Reaction score
Hi guys,

If you read my previous thread on my main sewer line being backed up w/ grease/sludge you may find this thread interesting and informing hopefully.....

I was looking into getting my sewer jetted and when I saw the prices I started to think to myself that I already have a pressure washer capable of 3000 psi. IF I could somehow convert that into a sewer jet I would be golden!!

After speaking to the people @ general wire they informed me that all I would need is a 1/4 x 100 ft high pressure hose and then the sewer jet nozzle and I should be in good shape. Maybe some adapters as well.

So it looks like for under 200 bucks I can turn my pressure washer into a sewer jet that should take care of my situation. I got prices from 350.00 up to 675.00 to have a company come in and jet my line. Which I am pretty sure they would be doing the same thing that I can do if I buy these additional parts.

what do you guys think? I am pretty excited but want to make sure this will work for me.

regards,
harvey

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if this will work for sure, it sounds like it might. My city sewer department has a big water jet on a truck that they use to clear main sewage lines, it sounds like the same principle, just on a larger scale. If I'm not mistaken, they run this hose though the line before applying the water pressure. I think that's because if you applied the pressure going in, any foreign material would not wash out, but would make the clog worse.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
3000 psi at what volume?

Jetters differ from pressure washers in that jetters have a cylinder bypass, or 'pulsation' function. This allows the tubing and jetter head to 'vibrate' around fittings and obstacles.

harveymasons

Reaction score
3000 psi @ approx 3.5 gpm. When I ordered the nozzles they asked me the specs on my pressure washer so they can match the nozzles to the appropriate specs.

There will be no pulsing, I am hooking up a 100 ft x 1/4 high pressure hose righ to my A&R pump and putting the sewer jet nozzle on the other end.

Do you forsee any problem with this setup?

thanks in advance,
harvey

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
sewer

You can't compare a little jet set-up to what a "Vactor" truck can do.
It uses a much greater volume of water and is much more powerful.

It would be interesting to find out though. For $200. you might want to try it.

If it works clean someones and recoup some investment.

If you try it let us know......

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Sewer Jet

Most of the sewer cleaning companies that I've dealt with use a jet in combination with a video camera, if you use that kind of pressure without being able to direct it you have a good chance of destroying the sewer. I don't think this is a good idea without furture research.

harveymasons

Reaction score
Hi shacko,

The pipe is a 4 inch cast iron, I planon starting with very low pressure and testing in my backyard so see what I am dealing with.

My pressure washer has adjustable pressure regulator as well so I think if I procede with caution I should be ok.

I had a camera put into the line already so I know it is a 45 ft run straight to the street line.

I will keep everyone posted,

regards,
harvey