Seaming Flexible "Canvas" Duct Connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got a rectangular flexible duct connector, like you use at equipment for vibration isolation, such as this one:

However, the black fabric section is just lapped at two of the corners, I can stick my finger between the two layers. What's the proper way to glue the "vinyl-coated woven nylon/polyester" to itself? I've seen a suggestion of rubber cement, would that actually work?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have access to the inside of the duct?
Yes, I'm in the middle of replacing some sections. I needed to make access to change the slim duct air handler ECM motor, and I'm adding the canvas connector as I used to have some resonance at one fan speed (although it could have been just the motor, not sure). In case it matters, the duct is 8x24 as in the link.

Thanks, Wayne

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Hey Wayne,
I haven't had my hands on flex duct connectors for a few years, but think that any good mfr wouldn't have that kind of issue.
"Duct sealant" fiber reinforced, should do the trick. The closest supplier might be Rubenstein Supply in Oakland. Or if you only need small quantity, a caulk tube is available.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest you find a compatible glue for the chemistry of the material and make a patch (out of like material) from the inside. I would think trying to glue it shut would be futile after a few cycles. But as far as the correct product I'm not sure I've ran across this. I might try literally sewing a patch in, but by then it might be better to replace it. I work side by side with hvac guys very regularly but generally they are replacing something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks