Sealing tub strainer flange: conflicting advice from mfr

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in a catch-22 situation: Mirabelle (tub mfr) recommends a neutral cure silicone but GE and DAP don't recommend silicones for acrylic.

At this point I'm thinking of installing the drain without sealing the strainer flange to the interior of the tub. Or, use silicone anyway but don't expect it to work as well as it would on other material.

Question: If I go without sealing the strainer flange should I expect very much drainage from the tub via the threads? Does this joint matter for sealant? Thanks for your help!

Background:
I am installing a Mirabelle acrylic soaking tub with a Watco 901-ABS-CP tub drain connecting to existing ABS DWV pipe.

I know the drain seal is via the gasket between the shoe and the tub. I've read that many people additionally apply a sealant between the strainer flange and inside of tub to prevent/limit leaking of tub water into the drain via the strainer threads.

I also know plumber's putty is not an option because of the ABS drain shoe (Watco, Oatey, and others all say not to use plumbers putty with ABS because it can affect the integrity of the material).

I asked GE and DAP which neutral cure silicone they would recommend: neither one recommends their silicone for use on acrylic because it does not seal well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks