Sealant for threaded chrome plated 1-1/4 in brass tailpiece into tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Have a threaded chrome plated brass 1.25 tailpiece they sent as a replacement that goes into the bottom of a tee (side of tee is drain overflow pivot rod entrance). It says to use hydraulic mastic on instructions. What is your favorite sealant here? I am leaning towards teflon paste (oatey great white). Thoughts? When you hand-tighten it without any lubrication/sealant, threads completely disappear into tee so this is not a great design (this is a manufacturers replacement for a worse design where they sent a leaky compression fit at this joint.)

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 11.10.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 11.10.26 AM.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little bit of any pipe joint compound should do the job, so the Oatey Great White should be fine.

Note that if there's a rubber washer and nut above the tee to clamp the bottom side of the basin, then the threads above the tee where the rubber washer will end up should also get a little bit of pipe joint compound, to aid in the rubber sealing against them.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never heard of hydrolic mastic? putty on top (masa) Spanish word maybe thats called hydrolic mastic. the bottom above the cone rubber washer Ive used a heavy coat of pipe dope I actually like that great white oatey product ( dont use on natural gas though ) a very small amount on the very end is ok.
take care to install the tee befor the big nut is tightened all the way so when the tee is tight its pointed the correct way

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
(this is a manufacturers replacement for a worse design where they sent a leaky compression fit at this joint.)
This has been a standard design for sink drains for well over 100yrs. We just replaced one on a sink that was installed for over 100yrs before we replaced the lead drains in the building.

I used to use plumbers putty (likely what they're calling mastic) smooshed into the fine threads. I now typically do a single wrap of heavy duty teflon tape. It doesn't take much to seal those threads.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most instruction sheets for these say to use Teflon tape on these threads. Generally I wrap it with tape and then cut the excess that hangs below and would be exposed. I usually dope the rubber washer and a small portion of those upper threads to prevent water from spiraling down the threads.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Most instruction sheets for these say to use Teflon tape on these threads. Generally I wrap it with tape and then cut the excess that hangs below and would be exposed. I usually dope the rubber washer and a small portion of those upper threads to prevent water from spiraling down the threads.

I wish I would have done this the first day, I had to go back and do this the second day. Those washers are useless at sealing. But the instructions don't call for any sealant there....I hate relying on sealant everywhere to prevent leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks