Seal well cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Well tested positive for ecoli and coliform. We are disinfecting this week. I am also lowering the dirt level around the cap. The well cap is an Old cast iron style that just has three bolts to hold on to case. No gasket. There was a large dirt dobber nest and spider webs in there. They were going in where the wires enter. How do I seal this up?

Attachments

• 9C78A108-724E-4855-BD51-DEDBF71890FD.jpeg
    9C78A108-724E-4855-BD51-DEDBF71890FD.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 278

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally the conduit goes up higher, and fits into the cap.

If I used a sealant, it would probably be an acrylic caulk, and not silicone RTV. You would want to be able to get it apart. Or maybe look into duct seal. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441

You might want to buy a new cap with a screen. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/Tech_Tip_Wellheads.pdf

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up -- more rigorous than you were planning.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking. If you don't want to spring for a new well cap with a screened vent, maybe you could stuff strips of Scotchbrite pads up, from below, up into the space between the openings between the well cap and the casing. That should block bugs and pass air, I am thinking.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, you want to know how to do it correctly? First take that old non-sanitary well cap off and throw it away! Your well casing needs to extend 12" to 18" above grade. Buy a sanitary well seal. It will have a top and bottom portion, with a gasket in between. The bottom portion will have a threaded opening on the bottom for a conduit terminal adapter to screw into. You will extend the pvc conduit so that it is continuous and unbroken into the threaded opening. The sanitary cap will also have a factory screened opening to keep insects out of the well.

Or you can do it half assed, and continue to have problems. Your choice.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I do want to do it correctly. Actually had the main well company out today to look at the cap and give a quote for a peroxide setup. I asked him about a new cap, he said the conduit was supposed to go up and a gasket was supposed to be there but he didn’t offer to sell me a new cap or fix the current one. He did say that cap is basically all they use and said the dirt dobbers and such wouldn’t cause problems...

With that, can someone point me to a place to buy the correct cap? I have a 6”case best I can tell.

Also, looking at injection pumps if I come back positive after shocking well (pump guy said I would. he said this house use to have chlorine injection). I can get Stenner Econ FP pumps through one of my plumbing distributors but not sure which one would be needed. Any advice on sizing?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Search watertight well cap.....
Walmart
Home depot
Lowes
Menard
Amazon
Etc.

Get a good well cap on. Do a flooding chlorination then retest your water.

Reach4

Reaction score
With that, can someone point me to a place to buy the correct cap? I have a 6”case best I can tell.
You really want to measure. Use a long-reach digital caliper, or a sewing tape measure or string to measure the circumference, and divide by pi.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. I got some chlorine tablets in the mail so I will do the treatment this coming week (will get a hotel to make sure no one forgets to not use the water). I will use liquid chlorine and vinegar as well.

Few more quick questions, when flooding the well, how much extra water should I dump down there? 5 gallons, 20 gallons... Don’t have access to a neighbors well.

Also, what is this stuff floating in the water?

Attachments

• 70C9FDDF-EFEF-4293-8FA4-7902815C1FCB.jpeg
    70C9FDDF-EFEF-4293-8FA4-7902815C1FCB.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 81C74426-3F77-4611-BA8A-9E1B0C69D1AB.jpeg
    81C74426-3F77-4611-BA8A-9E1B0C69D1AB.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 219
  • F5B80859-2E7F-4E95-B32F-94E244E25960.jpeg
    F5B80859-2E7F-4E95-B32F-94E244E25960.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 214

Reach4

Reaction score
Few more quick questions, when flooding the well, how much extra water should I dump down there? 5 gallons, 20 gallons... Don’t have access to a neighbors well.
How deep is your well.
How far down is your water.
You want to displace the water in the well, and more.

At a minimum, I would go 30 gallons. You can use a trash can with a can liner or two for cleanliness.

I used about 80 gallons last time on a 140 ft 4 inch well, but that was probably overkill. When sanitizing, I like overkill.

3o might have been overkill.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Should be 6” case but will measure before I get a new cap. Well guy said he thinks the well is 420’. Water at about 220’. No actual records though; will have to wait till pump needs pulled to find out for sure.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to backflush the well with at least 150% of borehole volume. So I either use a tote tank (275 gallons) or my water truck that holds 3,000 gallons.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I like to backflush the well with at least 150% of borehole volume. So I either use a tote tank (275 gallons) or my water truck that holds 3,000 gallons.

wow, bunch of 5 gal buckets of water.... I may have to think for a bit on how to do this.

Reach4

Reaction score
wow, bunch of 5 gal buckets of water.... I may have to think for a bit on how to do this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Flow-Waterbed-Mattress-Starter-Bundle/220682726473

California king free flow water bed mattress would have a lot of volume. The kit includes a blue venturi pump that can suck water out, and deposit it at the top of the casing. It can fill the mattress when adjusted the other way. The smaller blue thing in the kit is the connection between a garden hose and the mattress.

You would not use the bottle.

Seems too cheap.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Number one, your well guy is offering a short term solution at best and is thinking about his pocket more than your health.

Number two, your casing as Boyce said should be higher. Standard of the industry domestic casing is called 6” but it’s actually 65/8 diameter.

Number three, I’ve had the best luck pulling the water level way down in the well before adding the chlorine, I want a high chlorine level. Then run a hose from the house to the well and let the water circulate for about 30 minutes washing down the casing, drop pipe and wire. Then install the cap and pull the chlorine through the entire system, faucets, tubs,showers, spigots, washing machine, dishwasher and the humidifier if you have one. Let the chlorine sit over night and start running it off the next day.

Number four, when the chlorine is gone wait a week then resample. Take the water to a certified lab that same day. Forget a mail order water analysis, I’ve seen too many that give false results.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the help. Disinfected well this week. Misplaced my test strips so tried doing it by smell. Could not smell anything from the running water so I went a got more. Over 200, High ph as well. Used more vinegar and got it to a reasonable amount. Took forever to clear out the chlorine the next day.

I dug the dirt away from the well so that part is better. I called the pump company that services all the wells near me and they use the same cap I have. I called the other well companies and the ones that did return my call are of the same as the first. I can’t pull the pump so I will have to rig something up till the pump is pulled then I will have them use a cap I order.

I did get a bunch of small hard black stuff when flushing the system. Is that normal?

I will retest next week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks