SDR 35 and Potable Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Kelly

Builder/Remodeler
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbridge.com
Can someone tell me why my rain catchment contractor says Sched 40 PVC pipe is suitable for underground rainwater catchment but SDR 35 PVC pipe is not? Not a matter of strength after burial, something technical about the pipe itself.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sdr isnt legal for potable thats the code just cant do it sewer pipe just isnt drinking water approved

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most likely it has never even been tested for food safety so it is unknown whether it would pass or fail. Not all PVC manufacturing is food safe. Remember the lead contaminated PVC blinds and toys out of China?

Kelly

Builder/Remodeler
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbridge.com
LLigetfa said:
Most likely it has never even been tested for food safety so it is unknown whether it would pass or fail.

Kinda what I was thinking. But with rain catchment becoming very popular in my area, a lot of 4" Sched 40 PVC is being buried in areas not subject to any vehicle traffic and the price difference between that and 4" SDR 35 is dramatic. Wondering why no upstart manufacturer has taken the opportunity to get the thin-wall stuff certified. Or perhaps all the manufactures just like the idea that we hafta buy the higher priced spread? :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That dosent answer the question. the stuff is paper thin sewer pipe , thats like asking why cant we use dwv copper for drinking water answer because its for drainage and not aprooved? I know its frustrating . its also like when Mom says its time for bed ... but why we just dont have a real answer why sewer pipe isnt allowed for drinking water thats going to make sence to people unfamiliar with plumbing

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why my rain catchment contractor says Sched 40 PVC pipe is suitable for underground rainwater catchment but SDR 35 PVC pipe is not? Not a matter of strength after burial, something technical about the pipe itself.
Liability. Your contractor is on the hook for installation I'm assuming. If they're like me, they don't like to be sued for their work. I don't install products that aren't suitable for their installation when I'm doing professional work that I have to carry a warranty for.

If you wanted to install it yourself then the difference between can and can't is just doing or not doing.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
nobody he gets it . Kelly wants ust to know the exact reason code dosent permit sdr 35 sewer pipe for potable water unaprooved or not tested isnt good enough

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks