Screw Fell in Bathtub Overflow Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

SanjuanWolf

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question concerning bathtub overflow pipes in a two story home. Here is my scenario: Water was draining slowly in my tub and backing up so I removed the normal drain cover and the overflow's trip lever plate + linkage. I removed the clog easily and moved on to replace the drain plates.

The overflow plate was where I had an issue. The plate is as old as the house I think, about 30-40 years. I was having trouble getting one of the two screws to mate with the hole in the pipe so I was fiddling with it. I finally thought I had it and I pressed too hard and the screw went right through the brittle chrome and fell down the overflow pipe.

I took a tiny camera I have and could see where the screw fell in the pipe. I couldnt reach it with any tools I had on hand so I ordered a flexible grabber tool, but by the time the tool got to me the screw fell even deeper to where I can no longer see it.

Finally, my question: how much of a problem is it that a screw fell down my bathtub's overflow pipe on the second floor? Can I ignore it or should I be trying to open a pipe somehwere and find it?

And let's say I did want to do that, should I be looking in the pipes in the ceiling directly underneath the tub? Not saying I want to go cutting my cieling open, I just want and idea of where the screw would be. Thank you.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Forget about the screw. More than likely It will eventually wash out of the trap and be gone. Go buy a new plate and screws which are readily available.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably brass plated, but if it's steel, you could try fishing with a magnet. Inspection cameras are really inexpensive these days, especially those that broadcast to a device like your cellphone or tablet. The WiFi chip is cheaper than a decent display. Easier to probably just replace the thing, though. More tools can be fun, though!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks