Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 ball valve for Sewage ejector pump ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod St John

Reaction score
Hello Folks.. I am in the process of installing a new basement bathroom and am at the point where I am putting together the sewage ejector tank/pump/lines. I'm using a Meyers SRM4 pump in the tank. My current issue is that I picked up 2 different ball valves for the shut off... 1 is a schedule 40 and the other is a schedule 80 (both with threaded ends). I'm not sure which one to use.. the schedule 40 has a larger inside diameter (closer to the 2" ID of the pipe, but is weaker, while the schedule 80 valve has a smaller ID. I would prefer to not restrict the flow from the pump and out to the septic, i.e. use the schedule 40, but then I'm wondering if there might be issues with strength and so should go with the schedule 80 !!
Questions: 1) Should I be concerned with the strength of the schedule 40 valve vs the schedule 80 in this application ? 2) If I go with the schedule 80, is the restriction of flow even an issue ?
One final note: I'm using ABS for the piping. both ball valves are PVC. When I thread on the coupling, should I use Teflon tape, pipe dope or nothing and just make 'em tight ?

Thanks for your help !
Rod.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use tape on the male adapters to the ball valve. The schedule 40 should be fine. Those normally work under more pressure than what you will have on it.

Rod St John

Reaction score
Use tape on the male adapters to the ball valve. The schedule 40 should be fine. Those normally work under more pressure than what you will have on it.
Hi Terry, Thanks for the response ! That was how I was leaning as the sched 40 ball valve does look pretty beefy and my preference was to have the best flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks