Sanitary Tee vs Wye

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I've googled my subject line and found endless posts on not using sanitary tee's on their backs and not using wye's on trap arms, but nothing about my question. As you can see from the picture I'm adding a new kitchen sink and tying into the existing stack. There is a short horizontal run just before the stack turns vertical so I maybe could use a sanitary tee or not. Frankly sanitary tee or wye doesn't matter to me, I just want to use the correct fitting.

Thanks
kitchensink.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Vertical to horizontal = long turn bend
Horizontal to vertical = medium bend
Horizontal to horizontal - long turn bend

Since you are going from horizontal to vertical, you can use the medium bend (santee)
Also, since that is not where the vent is, you can also use a wye.
If you had a trap arm that needed venting in that location then it would be a santee and not a wye fitting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since he has a fair amount of bends, should he maybe use a double santee to add a cleanout?

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Yes, I work at a snails pace, but eventually everything gets done. Finally finished the drain today. I post this just so others who might come later can see what I've done. I sanded off the latex paint that covered the pipe and lucky for me the original plumber had installed the vertical pipe a bit out of plumb. When I put the sanitary tee in it pulled the pipe right to plumb. I put a bit of strapping at the mid point, you can see it at the top of the photo. The pipe wasn't sagging, but it seemed like a good idea.

Img_3270.jpg

drain.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks