Sandpoint loses prime

Users who are viewing this thread

justdewit64

Reaction score
Hopefully you can see diagram of my sandpoint well below. I have an old cabin and had to replace the sandpoint. I put in 2" pipe as shown below, with check-valve up at the top. I was told the shallow well jet pump I had would pull water 20 feet, and as you can see below, I am at only 16 feet to the water level in my well.

My problem is lots of air in the plumbing. I installed the new well three weeks ago and the air problem continues, so I don't think this is a temporary thing due to new well installation. I am ASSUMING my issue is losing prime on the pump. Whenever it is off for awhile, and certainly overnight, it takes about 30 seconds where you can hear the pump running and trying to prime itself. It gets prime, then takes about 60 seconds to go from 30psi to 50psi where pump shuts off. So eventually, I do get water, but then lots of air spits out of the lines for 10-15 seconds. After that, things are fine until we go for awhile without using water. Then the cycle repeats again.

The system WILL hold 50psi all night. I am assuming this proves my check-valve is OK, but look for your guidance. I did NOT install a foot-valve. My pump is about 10 years old (best guess...I got it with the cabin). My guess is my pressure tank is about 15 gallons, and it was new 2 years ago.

Any suggestions?

IMG-3328.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Slather the three tee ports with foamy shaving cream, along with the well side of the check valve. Use water to run the pump.

If you see shaving cream sucking in when the pump is running, you have found the vacuum leak. If the leak is in the bottom port of the tee, the concrete may hinder the access.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks