Safety question - should we turn gas off when water is shut off to tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom JZ

Reaction score
Hello - thanks for reading. We are getting a new water heater on Monday. We have an old AO Smith FSG 40 242 gas 40-gallon model that has a small leak (a puddle appears if we're not drawing hot water, and dries up when we do draw hot water). A technician who came out today said there's no way to know if the tank might go, and that it might be smart to shut off the water and gas as a precaution.

My question is: if we turn off the water to the tank tonight, can we leave the gas on pilot so that -- if everything looks the same tomorrow -- we can turn the water and the whole tank back on (just to have hot water for a few hours)? Or is there any risk if we shut off the water -- and the tank bursts and empties overnight -- from having left the gas on pilot? Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you can safely leave the pilot on if you switch the WH to Vacation mode.

I am not a pro.

There are often discussions as to how long a WH typically lasts. Would you tell us the manufacture date of your old WH?

http://www.buildingcenter.org/ao-smith-water-heater

Last edited:

Tom JZ

Reaction score
I think you can safely leave the pilot on if you switch the WH to Vacation mode.

I am not a pro.

There are often discussions as to how long a WH typically lasts. Would you tell us the manufacture date of your old WH?

http://www.buildingcenter.org/ao-smith-water-heater
Thanks for the info. One question - this is an old unit, doesn't have a vacation mode setting. Does that make a difference? Or would setting it to "low" temperature be the same thing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The WH will have a pilot position on the gas valve...just turn it to that and you won't have to relight the pilot (many of the newer ones do not have a pilot). It would only become a problem if the tank emptied after the water was shut off. There needs to be water in the tank if the burner ever turns on. IMHO, if it's going to be replaced soon, and that small leak isn't going to create damage, I'd probably just leave it. A decent WH wouldn't cool off all that much overnight, but if it did, the larger temperature swings might cause it to fail sooner. Well, I guess with a leak, it has failed, but it could get bigger, sooner. It IS safer to shut the inlet off and disable the burner (pilot position on the gas valve) or vacation setting if available. Then, if there's a catastrophic failure, you'd only have the WH tank volume verses an unlimited supply. Still could make a mess, and is one reason why a drain pan can help, but a full-blown blowout could overwhelm even that.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are that much worried about a catastrophic situation, why don't you shut off the gas supply and re-ignite the pilot in the morning?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not worry about the gas all it does is keep the water in the tank hot, it does not matter if the water is on or off the tank stays full of water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks