Running Well Pump for Home Inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

benbecker

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a home and the inspections will take place within the next week. The home is vacant as the elderly lady living there had moved out. It was a retiree home with only two people living there since it was built in 2003.

The septic system was pumped out after the owner had moved out, leaving the home vacant with an empty septic system. The home inspector (who will also inspect the septic and well) suggested that we let the water run during the inspection in order to fill the system to operating conditions. After the system is filled, he will let another 200 gallons run into the system in order to put a proper load into the drainfield.

The total amount of water to fill the system is roughly 2,000 gallons, followed by another 200 gallons to load test the drainfield. The total amount for the water for the well to supply would be 2,200 gallons.

The well pump is 16 years old. The well was drilled in 2003. I am unsure of the depth.

My question is whether this is going to be detrimental to the well pump as we are asking for an older pump to supply a lot of water in a short period of time. I don't want to run the test this way and then find out the pump was damaged a month after we move into the home.

And thoughts would be great!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Would be a good way to test the well pump while your at it. If the pump has any problems filling the septic system now is the time to find out. Although, the well pump could fill the septic or not, and still quit the next day. Pumps usually run until they quit, and they always quit at the worst time. You need to be prepared to replace that pump any day, as after 16 years it is working or borrowed time anyway.

benbecker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Cary.

Yeah, I agree, the pump is on borrowed time. We have a pump replacement in the budget as my thought was the same as yours.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 16 year old pump might be good for another 10 years or so.

A new pump could fail in the first 120 months.

Identify your pump service in advance, but I would wait until there was a symptom. I am not a pro.

benbecker

Reaction score
A 16 year old pump might be good for another 10 years or so.

A new pump could fail in the first 120 months.

Identify your pump service in advance, but I would wait until there was a symptom. I am not a pro.

Service.....as in electrical?

Reach4

Reaction score
Service.....as in electrical?
As in well service person or company..... Somebody who has the hoist truck and knowledge to change out pumps, and will be able to get you a replacement and get your water going in a timely manner.

Your pipe repair thru the foundation could be done by a plumber or a well service person/company. Replacing pumps is more specialized.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks