Running Plumbing in a unheated garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

FishingDave

Reaction score
looking at installing a hot and cold water spigot on the other side of my garage. I would have to mount the pipe on the interior wall exposed. I would like to use 3/4 pex since I am in the northeast , what would be the best way to protect it?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
install shut offs and drain ports in the heated part of your garage or house and just drain the lines when you dont need the water on... and just fire it back up when you do need the water on in the winter time...
and of course just leave in on live all summer long

that would be the most simple thing to do...

Eman85

Reaction score
Aside from draining I'd guess you could put self regulating heat cable on it.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
looking at installing a hot and cold water spigot on the other side of my garage. I would have to mount the pipe on the interior wall exposed. I would like to use 3/4 pex since I am in the northeast , what would be the best way to protect it?

Depends on your garage. In 30 years, my garage has never frozen (we keep water bottles in the garage). My garage part of the house with 2X6 fully insulated walls, insulated garage doors, and two common walls with the main house which provide a bit of heat to the garage.

If your garage gets cold enough to freeze water, nothing passive like insulation will protect it. Insulation only slows the flow of heat - not stops it, so without a renewable heat source (like the water being drawn regularly), the pipes and water within will eventually reach the same temperature of the garage - if it's below freezing, you'll freeze your pipes.

Even though PEX is far more resistant to freeze damage than copper and CPVC, you don't want to ever freeze it.

John

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Aside from draining I'd guess you could put self regulating heat cable on it.

You can always install a heat cable like they do on old trailer parks homes....as long as you remember to
plug it in for the winter time it will work ok.... and as long as the power does not go out to that circuit
some time in the winter months it wont freeze

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks