Running out of hot water dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Wow Dana~such a wealth of info! Sorry to say I don't have the gas bills from last year. My radiators are as follows (all tubular):
Upstairs BR 19" x 4.5"
Upstairs BR 19" x 6.5"
Master BR 22" x 5.5" & 25" x 4.5"
LR 22" x 5.5"
DR 22" x 5.5"
Sunroom 22" x 5.5" CORRECTION
Kitchen has an electric toe kick heater under the sink
Both bathrooms have electric wall heaters, although plan for main one is to add a radiant heat floor.
Unable to load any pics.
After digesting your info we are gravitating towards the regular cast iron boiler since I assume, correct me if I'm wrong, we can reuse the same chimney vent and the warranties are better?? From what I have read the condensing ones utilize a different vent? Also, the indirect looks like we can position it in a better spot as opposed to where the current water heater is crammed. As an aside, if power is ever lost, we could still utilize whatever hot water is in the tank as opposed to the combi which would have nothing to offer in that event, is that correct?

To calculate the radiator output we also need the number of tubes per section, and the number of sections. You've only provided height & width of the individual sections (?). The model number or wattage of the toe-kick and bathroom wall heaters may matter too. These are all important factors for sizing the boiler correctly, whether cast iron or modulating-condensing. With actual sizing of the rads it's also possible to determine how much water volume and total thermal mass we're working with. If there is sufficient thermal mass in the system a combi boiler just might work well enough to at least think about that as a solution.l

A right sized cast iron boiler is likely to be less than half the burner size of what's there, in which case it would need a narrowing flue liner to avoid flue condensation or backdrafting risk. Those liners aren't free. Condensing boiler use plastic venting (and not much of it if it's vented out the side). Plastic venting is also no free, but it's pretty cheap. Oversized chimneys can be used as a chase for housing the intake & exhaust venting for a mod-con, but there are usually cheaper/better ways. A chimney on an atmospheric drafted boiler draws outdoor air infiltration 24/365- it's a parasitic load. A power-drafted sealed-combustion appliance such as a modulating condensing boiler allows you to seal up the chimney ports, which removes the parasitic load.

Most gas utilities in New England have the monthly fuel over the past year listed in some form on each month's bill. What were your two highest-used months, and the amount of fuel used (in therms or ccf, not dollars)?

Yes, when the power goes out a combi-boiler leaves you without hot water, whereas any tank-type water heater (including an indirect).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks