Rinnai R53 Issue - Sporadic Cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Treitz28

Reaction score
Hi all - new here, and trying to isolate a problem with our tankless water heater - Rinnai R53.

The issue: When using the shower or sink, it producing hot water for a while. However, occasionally it will go cold (NOT showing an error code). If we turn the water off, then back on, it heats up quickly again. It may do this 1 - 3 times per shower.

I talked to a plumber who thought it may be a water flow issue. He suggested trying to turn a sink on when it does it to increase water flow. This did not change anything.

I'm not a plumber, so happy to have someone service it, but I'd like to point them in the right direction rather than paying a large bill for diagnostic if possible.

Appreciate any insight.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Whens the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned with vinegar? Next time someone taking a shower watch the heaters display, temps and gpm.

Treitz28

Reaction score
Whens the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned with vinegar? Next time someone taking a shower watch the heaters display, temps and gpm.

Cleaning - I don't know... which probably mean it needs it.

I didn't realize the water temp screen would change based on actual output. I'll take a look to see what it reads.