Return air from two rooms in tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

yeyildiz

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement. I will install a return air vent for living room and bedroom.

There is an existing return air grill for living room. Can I install a duct pipe down to lower floor or is there a better option?

As for the return air for bedroom to the right of living room, can I cut it like in the image and install the duct to the bedroom?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 36

Fitter30

Reaction score
Furnace cooling is 1000 cfm Design air flow for 8" flex 160 cfm
Try it probably have to block of some of return air to balance it out. Normally supply vents are in the floor returns up high.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Google “jump vents”. This is required on Florida. You can do the returns anyway you want. The make the best installing jump vents allows for better airflow especially when the doors are closed. Air will flow from one vent to the next depending on air pressure.
You might install one in each room to the main open area such as the hall way. It only cost a couple of grills and a few feet of 8” flex.

yeyildiz

Reaction score
Furnace cooling is 1000 cfm Design air flow for 8" flex 160 cfm
Try it probably have to block of some of return air to balance it out. Normally supply vents are in the floor returns up high.
Thanks for the quick reply
I live in MN. My understanding is that the cold air sinks to floor so returns should be at lower floor and supplies up for the circulation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
First floor (for heating), cold air returns near the floor, second floor near the ceiling. You want to pull the excess heat off the ceiling for recirculation. For a basement, personal choice in my book. Ceilings are generally 7'. I would do returns near the ceiling (wall) and supply near the floor. Bottom line, good air flow for the best comfort.

I'm not a HVAC tech but owning five homes in fifty years, three in snow country, two in Florida, I know what works best. The home I had built in Cicero, NY, I had the HVAC contractor move the second floor cold air returns up near the ceiling for both heat and air conditioning. Open home concept and no doors to close off the stairs, second floor can bet pretty warm compared to the first floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks