Results of Sewer Line Scope

Users who are viewing this thread

TK3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am looking into buying a house. Among the inspections performed, was a scope of the sewer line. The scope inspection found quite a few issues: 1) “displaced pipe joist” which I believe is a typo and should be “displaced pipe joint”; 2) “possible displacement of pipes”; 3) a “major blockade”. It all sounds very concerning. Does the sewer line need to be replaced (or repaired, if at all possible) in this case?

Thanks for any input.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If it is old clay or 'orangeburg' pipe, then it is at the end of practical life. Not that you have to replace immediately, but end of life means it is a liability. Get price quotes to replace and then negotiating skills. It will only get more expensive as time passes.

TK3000

Reaction score
If it is old clay or 'orangeburg' pipe, then it is at the end of practical life. Not that you have to replace immediately, but end of life means it is a liability. Get price quotes to replace and then negotiating skills. It will only get more expensive as time passes
At first, I thought it was cast iron. I guess the build-up over time…

But the inspection sheet indicates that it is PVC. Inside the house, it is all PVC; but that does not mean that it is PVC underground as well.

The seller indicated that he will contract with a plumber to evaluate and repair it.

TK3000

Reaction score
Inspection report too vague or at least your report to us is not worth much discusion . walk away if you dont like it?

Yeah, but the inspection report looks very concerning.

The seller indicated that he will have evaluated and repaired. I indicated that he would have to pull a permit and have a city inspector approve it. Hopefully, it will work out at the end.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, but the inspection report looks very concerning.

The seller indicated that he will have evaluated and repaired. I indicated that he would have to pull a permit and have a city inspector approve it. Hopefully, it will work out at the end.
It will work out as long as you accept it . Im hoping the report was more detailed if you didnt recieve a video or a copy then hire your own. Pull a permit to do what ? repair dislodged joint? I dont think it needs a permit. Hopefully you 2 can come togethyer on agreement You may concider a followup video inspection and or a personal visit to the job if its dug up . Well Im a plumber and Id want to see all I could

TK3000

Reaction score
It will work out as long as you accept it . Im hoping the report was more detailed if you didnt recieve a video or a copy then hire your own. Pull a permit to do what ? repair dislodged joint? I dont think it needs a permit. Hopefully you 2 can come togethyer on agreement You may concider a followup video inspection and or a personal visit to the job if its dug up . Well Im a plumber and Id want to see all I could

I don’t know much about sewer lines, but I would imagine that it would either need to be repaired or replaced. Replacing sounds like a big undertaken (including breaking slabs, excavating, digging in, etc). Also, I heard about some approaches in repairing it (like cure-in-place and pipe bursting ) that would not require excavation.

Is it common to repair just a small portion of the sewer line? If different parts of the sewer line have some damage, does not that mean that other parts of the line are likely to fail in a relatively short term?

Below is part of the report showing with pics and some data:

I don’t know much about sewer lines, but I would imagine that it would either need to be repaired or replaced. Replacing sounds like a big undertaken (including breaking slabs, excavating, digging in, etc). Also, I heard about some approaches in repairing it (like cure-in-place and pipe bursting ) that would not require excavation.

Is it common to repair just a small portion of the sewer line? If different parts of the sewer line have some damage, does not that mean that other parts of the line are likely to fail in a relatively short time?

INDIANA_INSPEC_SEWER_LINE_PICS.png

Thanks a lot!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks