Resin discharged during regen

Users who are viewing this thread

Colchicine

Reaction score
I have a new AQUASURE Harmony 48,000 Grain Fine Mesh Water Softener. Each of the three times it has regenerated there has been resin at the discharge. I didn't think much of it when it was new, but now that it is three months old I would expect this to no longer be occurring.
What is the cause of this?

IMG_20210116_125509.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Step 1. Make sure the incoming water is coming into the incoming port.

If that is OK, you have a top basket, and the DMLP is too high.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Fine mesh resin requires a smaller DLFC button, I seriously doubt any company selling that unit would know how to size the DLFC properly. Cheap top screen and low water temperatue could also be the cause.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
holy hydrostatic pressure on the foundation, batman. who installed that thing? do you have a basement? that discharge is very wrong and I'm not talking about the resin in it. next time it regenerates at least put a temporary extension on that pipe and run it 15-20ft away from the house, downhill if possible.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
holy hydrostatic pressure on the foundation, batman. who installed that thing? do you have a basement? that discharge is very wrong and I'm not talking about the resin in it. next time it regenerates at least put a temporary extension on that pipe and run it 15-20ft away from the house, downhill if possible.
LOL, yeah... that is really bad! My guess is the same company selling that unit did the installation?

Colchicine

Reaction score
I took this picture before knowing I would be posting it on a forum and getting… critiques. The house is on a slab, and the photo was taken before I cleared out the dried leaves and weeds that were clogging the channel that drain the water away.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
I took this picture before knowing I would be posting it on a forum and getting… critiques. The house is on a slab, and the photo was taken before I cleared out the dried leaves and weeds that were clogging the channel that drain the water away.
would you prefer that nobody tell you how bad it is to discharge water directly at your foundation? salty brine is even worse. channel drain or not it was done wrong and will cause damage. If you did this yourself you really need to install a 4" drain pipe and direct the discharge directly into that drain pipe so that it doesn't hit the ground or splash all over your foundation & siding. then run the drain pipe to lower ground or a storm sewer if you can.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water softeners are commonly discharged to a sewer or septic system.

Advisable to check your local regulations regarding discharging directly to the environment.

While I anticipate no issues with watering a lawn with plain water discharged from back washing a carbon filter system, the salty discharge from a water softener is much different.