Residential Grease Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Trapped

Reaction score
Terry, I have what seems to be a grease trap problem! House was built in 1928 Denver colorado. Homes in my part of town sometimes do have grease traps. How deep will the tank be in my yard? 2nd question - Do I have a septic tank? How will I know? I haven't found the grease trap yet but it is leaking. Water has come up through the ground. I dug down about 5 ft and found the grey water and probably grease. Not sure what to do now. Thanks,

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry, I have what seems to be a grease trap problem! House was built in 1928 Denver colorado. Homes in my part of town sometimes do have grease traps. How deep will the tank be in my yard? 2nd question - Do I have a septic tank? How will I know? I haven't found the grease trap yet but it is leaking. Water has come up through the ground. I dug down about 5 ft and found the grey water and probably grease. Not sure what to do now. Thanks,
Consult the county or city. They should have records of a septic tank. If not keep looking.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A 100 year old grease trap or septic tank and field probably does not work anymore. If the is a grease trap would be nothing more than a tank of sorts, built with cement, cement blocks or bricks. It might be capped of with a large stone or concrete lid. A pipe about half way down would go straight up then turn to a septic field. Where you are seeing water could be a broken pipe and the waste water it is backing up, the tank maybe further down the line. With about a four foot length of rebar, poke around the yard going down about a foot or more until you hit something.

City records might have a record if it was ever replaced with something more modern since it requires a permit, but long ago, who knows.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A septic system can last a long time, but only if it is pumped periodically. How often depends on how large the tank is, how many people it is supporting, and what you might put down the drain. If you do have a septic system and it hasn't been pumped regularly, the whole system may be clogged up and require replacement. If a septic system is not pumped, the waste doesn't have enough time or volume for the solids to fall out before they flow out into the leach field...that will cause the pores in the soil to get clogged up, eventually preventing it from being able to absorb the water in a timely fashion.

Different places cover sewerage in different manners...it might be tied to a water bill, or a separate bill, or maybe some other methods.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks