Rerouting new residential main waste pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
www.bestrooterservice.com
Old house. Buried cast iron in the crawl space. Mainline clogged and we can’t get through the 4” iron santees on their backs/sides with any of our cable machines. Customer wants a whole new sewer line instead of having the line jetted from the city manhole back upstream towards the house.
With a new sewer line in the crawl space running downstream towards the front of the house and the street where the city’s main is located, once you pipe to the front stem wall would you:
1. Dig by hand from the crawl space side underneath the cinder block stem wall?
Or
2. Core drill a hole through the stem wall and turn vertical as soon as you’re out and install a clean out before diving back into the ground leaving a fitting exposed?
Or
3. Try to locate and dig by hand to expose the existing 4” cast iron underground and adapt to it in the crawl space. Then outside the crawl space adapt from the existing cast iron back to plastic install a clean out and head downstream to the city’s tie in?

The home owner wants the old lines done away with but I’m uncertain how to approach getting out of the crawl space with the new piping.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think the first thing to do is to dig down and install a plastic cleanout -- maybe bidirectional.

If replacing the drain pipes under a basement , I think you often try to route the lines into the back yard, and make a long trench around the house. In UPC, I think you can get permission to run 4 inch at 1/8 inch per foot slope. That technique may not be needed often with a crawlspace.

Last edited:

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
www.bestrooterservice.com
I would think the first thing to do is to dig down and install a plastic cleanout -- maybe bidirectional.

If replacing the drain pipes under a basement , I think you often try to route the lines into the back yard, and make a long trench around the house. In UPC, I think you can get permission to run 4 inch at 1/8 inch per foot slope. That technique may not be needed often with a crawlspace.
Since we don’t do any excavating outside the footing we’ll be coordinating that portion with another contractor and they’ll install a clean out based on our recommendation. They don’t do anything inside the foundation which is our portion of the replacement.
I’m sure the old line can be cleared somehow but regardless the owner wants it replaced instead of maintaining it. The existing underground cast iron and clay pipe is at least 100 years old and the owner wants a new line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks