Replacing Washing Machine Drain Pipe Under Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacy Taylor

Reaction score
So I've done a ton of home remodeling over the last 20 years. I've done enough plumbing to feel at least somewhat confident to think about taking on this task but thought it best to ask a few questions first.

The drain from the washing machine to the main line is constantly getting clogged. We have two super furry dogs that I'm 99% sure is causing a major buildup in the line. Since we're not getting rid of the dogs, it's time to do something to the drain pipe.

I have poured gallons of drain cleaner from every brand known to Home Depot. I have gotten on the roof and used my $250 auger to snake the drain at least twice a year but am now having to do it at least once a month. I'm done.

My questions are:

1. Home is built in 1975, classic ranch style home here in Oklahoma. Is it safe to assume that the main drain line runs down the hallway from the kitchen to the back of the house?

2. What equipment would be best to find the pipes and where they run? I've never had to go looking for pipes in the foundation as all the ones I've replaced were in the wall up to this point.

3. How deep will I need to dig to get to the pipes? I'm just looking for an average depth as I'm sure this varies.

4. Do you think this is something a DIY guy who also runs a professional handyman business can do?

5. How long do you think this will take?

Ok...enough questions for now. Any and all opinions and advice are welcome.

EricE

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks