Replacing toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Doohickie

Reaction score
Good news: The answer is I don't have to replace anything. If you look at the picture, you might be able to see that slotted hole the toilet bolt goes into was oriented so that the bolt was barely engaging in the narrow part of the slot- the oversized portion was right next to where the bolt goes when the toilet is installed.

I bought a replacement ring and was thinking about bolting it to the old one by drilling and tapping, then using short screws. I started looking at the orientation of the holes in the flange, and it seemed like if I could rotate it a few degrees, things would line up better. So I took a hammer and screwdriver and tapped it and the old ring rotated. I realized that previously the bolts were barely into the narrow part of the slot. I rotated the ring to where the ends of the slots are right at 3:00 and 9:00 orientation, and now there is plenty of meat for the bolts to grab onto. So now I can take the repair ring back to Lowes.

Now off to the tub and shower forum to see how easy it is to put updated tub nozzle, shower nozzle and handle on; I think chrome would look good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks