Replacing sweat valve with compression type

Users who are viewing this thread

nprak

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently moved into new house and all the toilet shut off valves are sweat valves. Two or them has a minor leak. can I change those valves to compression type. Would appreciate if someone can direct me to some DIY for this purpose.
Thanks

Attachments

• 16D980D4-E389-4957-BB78-745740AAE947.jpeg
    16D980D4-E389-4957-BB78-745740AAE947.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 945

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes. Probably the easier way to do that would be to cut the existing valve off to virgin copper (it doesn't need to be that long sticking out of the wall) and polish up the pipe, then install the new compression valve. A compression fitting needs in the order of an inch of clear pipe. If you wanted to install a chrome eschution at the wall, take that into consideration on where to cut the pipe. You don't want it too short to bottom out in the new valve. Read the instructions on the one you choose to ensure you don't cut it too short. Use two wrenches, one on the valve body to keep it from turning, and the second one to tighten the nut. Quarter-turn ball valves will last longer with less issues than a multi-turn valve style.

Reach4

Reaction score
I like the Ridgid 101 pipe cutter. While it is not the smallest, it is pretty small, and cuts well.

Cut your 1/2 copper, and clean the end a bit making sure there is no outside burr. I would push on a Sharkbite valve. I would lube the end of the pipe with silicon grease before pushing, but that is is not the norm. The Sharkbite stop valves come with a little chromed piece that snaps on to dress it up a bit. I am not a plumber.

Compression is certainly nice. It is a little harder.

Whenever you change a valve, you usually also replace the escutcheon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks