Replacing Kohler K-5942-5 kitchen sink with stainless steel

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Our Koehler dual bowl cast iron kitchen sink has lost its luster and we're thinking of replacing it with a top mount single bowl stainless steel sink. Our replacement sink would still need 3 holes (faucet, dishwasher air gap, filtered water dispenser). I'll have to make some changes to the drain fittings to accommodate the garbage disposal and water filter drain connection.
I'm looking for recommendations of a good SS sink with 3 holes that can fit in a 31-7/8″ by 20-3/4 cutout. Thank you.

k-5942-spec-1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most double sinks are 33" x 22"
If you have a laminate countertop, then it's pretty easy to cut the hole to the size you need. A SS sink uses clips while the cast iron sink was meant to set on top and be secured with caulking.
With clips there may be times that the wood needs notching for clips, or have longer screws for them.
Before you get too far along with this, check the current depth of the sink you have and make sure that the drain from the wall is low enough for whatever sink you install. Many newer stainless sinks are 10" deep, while many older sinks are 8" at the most.

kohler-staccoto-ss-sink.jpg

sink-cut-out.jpg

Last edited:

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Thank you.
Most double sinks are 33" x 22"
The cutout size I mentioned is from Koehler specs for our current sink since I will not know the actual size of the cutout until I remove it. The outer dimensions of the current sink are 33"x22" so I assume the replacement SS sink will be the same size.
If you have a laminate countertop, then it's pretty easy to cut the hole to the size you need. A SS sink uses clips while the cast iron sink was meant to set on top and be secured with caulking.
With clips there may be times that the wood needs notching for clips, or have longer screws for them.
Our countertop is granite with a plywood base and I stand informed about the possibility of having to expand the cutout.
Before you get too far along with this, check the current depth of the sink you have and make sure that the drain from the wall is low enough for whatever sink you install. Many newer stainless sinks are 10" deep, while many older sinks are 8" at the most.
The current sink specs state 8-5/8" from top to bottom. I've verified the drain is at least 3" below the bottom. I'll look for a SS sink with 9" depth.

Are there any recommended brands or brands to avoid for a SS sink?

Rmk9785e

Reaction score

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
We’ve decided to replace it with stainless steel top-mount sink. Costco had a set on sale but there were many reviews stating that it retains water stains Additionally it has only a single hole and we also need to install an RO filter system tap and need a hole for the dishwasher air gap. Is it feasible and advisable to have additional cutouts made in the field? Which brand of stainless steel sinks are recommended at this forum?
upload_2021-5-23_20-7-14.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks