Replaced pressure relief valve but still leaking, new expansion tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron Beatty

Reaction score
Hi,

First time here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I fired up my boiler for the first time a week or so ago and shortly after noticed that the pressure relief valve was leaking a steady drip of water. I replaced the pressure relief valve, but the leak persisted. Having done some research, I am thinking the next step is to replace the expansion tank. Before doing so I was hoping I could get some clarity on doing so.

First of all when i tap the expansion tank it does not feel full. Also I tested the valve on the bottom of it and no water came out, does this mean the expansion tank is still good and possibly just needs the pressure adjusted?

The pressure gauge on the side of the boiler reads 12psi (see photo), should I assume that this means the expansion tank should be at 12psi also? Can I test this by removing the existing tank and just using my electric pump for the car tires?

Edit: I just tested the expansion tank and the pressure was about 13psi. Feels warm at the top and cold at the bottom which I assume is expected.

If the expansion tank needs to be replaced, the current one is a Watts ET-60 which I believe is 6.6 gallons, my local hardware has none of the same make, but has a 4.4 or 7.6 gallon Amtrol tank. Should I assume that the 7.6 gallon one would be more suitable?

lastly, in the last photo, I circled in yellow the two valves that are either side of the expansion tank. Are these the only two valves that I need to turn off before removing the expansion tank (In addition to turning off the boiler). I assume so but ask because there are about 10 valve handles incase they all need to be switched off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Aaron Beatty

Reaction score
Turns out upon closer inspection the expansion tank was actually full. I replaced the Watts ET-60 with an Amtrol #60 which is 7.6 Gallon. hopefully does the job.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turns out upon closer inspection the expansion tank was actually full. I replaced the Watts ET-60 with an Amtrol #60 which is 7.6 Gallon. hopefully does the job.
Good deal. I presume you set up the air precharge. Knock on the tank while it is empty -- its normal condition when the water is not hot. Calibrate your ear.

Aaron Beatty

Reaction score
I checked the precharge and it was set at 12psi, the same pressure as the furnace so no adjustment was necessary. I have had the heating running for several hours today (which the wife has loved) and there is no leaking so it would appear that the expansion tank has fixed it. Good advice about knocking on the tank when I know it is still good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks