Replace Rapidayton well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry

Reaction score
Need some help on how to replace this old (1972) Rapidayton pump. It stopped working yesterday but giving it a gentle tap restarted it.

Can I just replace it with a new jet pump? If so, not sure how to connect the new pump to the pipe from the well since it has a coupling configured for the old pump. Possibly cut the pipe before the coupling and then somehow connect it to PVC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_120218.jpg
    IMG_20200228_120218.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 502

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a control box (not the pressure switch) that passes the electricity to the pump motor? If so, maybe you just need a new start capacitor in that box. That would be ideal.

I think you probably have a deep well jet pump with the pump sitting on a packer adapter. You would have what is called a single pipe system, but that is a bit of a misnomer. There will be a smaller pipe inside of the bigger pipe that you see. That means that the adapter will get water from the pump in one hole, and push that down the big pipe outside of the inner pipe. There will be a venturi/ejector down the well.
aw42.png

This diagram would be like what I think you have, but you have the added bit of turning a corner. I am not a pro. I may be wrong. I don't know for sure that you don't have a shallow well pump, where there is no pipe inside of the pipe. I hope somebody knows about your specific system, and can lead you to what you need to fix things.

index.php

Larry

Reaction score
Do you have a control box (not the pressure switch) that passes the electricity to the pump motor? If so, maybe you just need a new start capacitor in that box. That would be ideal.

I think you probably have a deep well jet pump with the pump sitting on a packer adapter. You would have what is called a single pipe system, but that is a bit of a misnomer. There will be a smaller pipe inside of the bigger pipe that you see. That means that the adapter will get water from the pump in one hole, and push that down the big pipe outside of the inner pipe. There will be a venturi/ejector down the well.
aw42.png

This diagram would be like what I think you have, but you have the added bit of turning a corner. I am not a pro. I may be wrong. I don't know for sure that you don't have a shallow well pump, where there is no pipe inside of the pipe. I hope somebody knows about your specific system, and can lead you to what you need to fix things.

index.php

Larry

Reaction score
On the side of the pump there is a capacitor. Looks like an old Mallory. Can't make out the 4th line with 100-125 MFD?

Thanks for your help!
IMG_20200424_141314.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks