Repeated Pinhole Leaks in NEW Copper Water Main

Users who are viewing this thread

mcoval

Reaction score
Hello all, would greatly appreciate any help with this frustrating issue. Bought our house 2 years ago, it was built in the 40s. Late 2022 had a couple of pinhole leaks, one after another, in the old 108ft copper water main. On the advice of our plumber, replaced the entire water main with new copper and protective sleeve in Jan 2023 as it was presumably at the end of its service life. Fast forward to March 2023, we had pinhole leak in the new main line. Plumber was puzzled, repaired it under warranty. We have since had 2 more pinhole leaks, also repaired under warranty. Thats a total of 3 leaks in a 4 month old copper line. The leaks are in the straight copper pipe, not at the joints. I have sent off soil for testing and will send water as well. Yesterday I found out that 4 other neighbors in very close proximity have all had water main leaks since January, a few of them have had more than multiple leaks. Presumably most of them still have an old copper line, but still. What is going on here? (Photo attached is of the leaks in the new copper at 3 months)

Attachments

• Pinhole Leak NEW Pipe.jpg
    Pinhole Leak NEW Pipe.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 127

MadMadMrsM

Reaction score
I'll be interested to find out what your soil and water testing found. After years of replacing copper pipes because of pinholes, it finally dawned on me that it might be the water. It is - our well water is acidic at 6 pH and eats through copper. I don't want to install water treatment so I've been replacing all the water pipes with PEX. I also have to replace the indirect water heater because the water has disintegrated the copper heating coil. I'll be putting in a heater that uses a stainless steel coil.

Good luck!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Corrosive soil and water are in so ca but never heard of it this bad. could be electrical issue, prop[per grounding ?
Ive had real good luck with Sch 40 PVC and with copper.
Not knowing much on metalurgy it looks like the copper is erroding from the outside and not the water causing it.

ArayT

Reaction score
Agree w Mr Young.
I had this issue on a house years ago and after I added a short piece of PVC between the water heater and mains the issue stopped. I still have the house (rental) and no problems in 15 plus years.
rt

mcoval

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, just to “close the loop”…. Found out that the utility companies gas line was grounding through my water main…. So electrolysis was to blame. Oddly the gas line and water main have been located in the same place for years and years, but they recently did some work on the rectifier that charges the gas line, so presumably something went awry. The utility company has since shut off the rectifier, will replace the entire gas line with poly tubing that won’t require a charge, and will hopefully be reimbursing for the water main issues… fingers crossed!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, just to “close the loop”…. Found out that the utility companies gas line was grounding through my water main…. So electrolysis was to blame. Oddly the gas line and water main have been located in the same place for years and years, but they recently did some work on the rectifier that charges the gas line, so presumably something went awry. The utility company has since shut off the rectifier, will replace the entire gas line with poly tubing that won’t require a charge, and will hopefully be reimbursing for the water main issues… fingers crossed!
A charge you mean a DC electrical voltage was applied to the gas pipe to prevent electrolysis in contact with copper?

Something I learned over fifty years ago why the traditional phones (land lines) were -48v's DC. When trolly cars were all the rage in the big cities like NYC, underground telephone cables were made of lead sheathing with paper insulated copper wire. Trolly cars used over head power but the tracks were ground. There was an electrical charge between the cables and rails, changing to a negative voltage took care of the problem.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
...our well water is acidic at 6 pH and eats through copper. I don't want to install water treatment so I've been replacing all the water pipes with PEX.

You would need to remove all bits of copper, brass, and steel to stop acid corrosion issues, and you'll still have some issues with fixtures and valves.

I had the same low pH problem and repiped with PEX to replace my pinholed copper, but I also added an acid neutralization tank that uses calcium carbonate media (safe) because I didn't want PEX stubouts. I installed new copper stub outs to the PEX after I added the tank.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks