Repair or Replace Frozen Yard / Frost-Free Hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
The forecast said 37, and I shouldn't have believed it... got down to 27 and the yard hydrant fractured.

I'm not sure the age of this one (probably 80's), and the supply line is likely at least 3-4' down... most likely not the sanitary design.

Is it easy to locate parts and repair the head, or am I better off digging and replacing the whole thing? I'd have to upgrade to the one with a reservoir if I did that and it ties into the main copper water supply line before the house, so replacement may not be so easy.

Thanks!

yard_hydrant_1.jpg

yard_hydrant_2.jpg

Last edited:

Rossn

Reaction score
The forecast said 37, and I shouldn't have believed it... got down to 27 and the yard hydrant fractured.

I'm not sure the age of this one (probably 80's), and the supply line is likely at least 3-4' down... most likely not the sanitary design.

Is it easy to locate parts and repair the head, or am I better off digging and replacing the whole thing? I'd have to upgrade to the one with a reservoir if I did that and it ties into the main copper water supply line before the house, so replacement may not be so easy.

Thanks!

View attachment 82803
View attachment 82804
I was able to get parts directly from Simmons for about $85 delivered, with all new wearable parts and top side.