Removing Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's never a good idea to use a flange inside of a 3" pipe! Never!

I'll leave it to the pros to suggest the best way to fix this. There are several other recent active threads on flanges...you might want to read them for some insight.

Baron

Reaction score
It's never a good idea to use a flange inside of a 3" pipe! Never!

That's what I thought.

They were also telling me it's OK to use ABS with PVC and that the toilet flange should be level with the floor and not on top of the finished floor.

Yes -- I'll check out some other "flange" threads in the forum.

Baron

Reaction score
The reason I was there -- I installed a 90 degree elbow (see pics) and am going to come up around 2" to 2-1/2" short after I install cbu and tile.

I guess it's my fault for installing a 90 degree street elbow instead of installing a standard 90 elbow.

I ended up redoing it and replaced the 90 degree street elbow with a standard 90 degree elbow (female to female).

If I place the toilet flange on top of the new elbow -- there is about 1/4" gap between the bottom of the flange and the floor. Should work out perfect -- since I still need to install 1/4" cbu and 1/4" tile plus a little more for the thinset. I'll wait to cut/attach the 3" abs between the elbow and flange after I get the floor completely done.